Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
WG Facebook Administrator

Default Dear Lawn Care People,

I have gigantic patches in my yard where grass doesn't grow. Advise please!

Love,
The Grass Executioner

Dear Lawn Care People,-front.jpg
Front Yard

Dear Lawn Care People,-back.jpg
Back Yard
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Lungwort

I can't believe how hard Jason worked today! First he created three new flower beds early this morning and planted some seedlings. Then he had to go rent a truck, then go get a bed full of mulch, drive it home and then unload the whole thing by shovel-full and spread it in different places, then get the truck back in only a few hours. Quite a job!
empy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I not doing as well as you in the eliminate the lawn department. All I do is keep expanding beds and adding more beds sorta like what you're doing in your frontyard. Ultimately I'll end up expanding the natural areas into the existing lawn then going with a big prairie out front and a no-mow of some sort for a space out back large enough to play croquet. Your end result will most likely end up more attractive than mine. You seem more organized and methodical than me. Your frontyard looks fantastic. Your backyard is coming along fast. In that area where the grass isn't growing I'd probably go scouring the neighborhood for rubber roofing liner and I'd make a pond. You have all the elements of habitat to bring them to you except water.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Fox

Great idea the way you mulched around the plants. You completed avoided the conventional circle around the tree look. It really has an artistic feel to it, and it looks terrific!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I not doing as well as you in the eliminate the lawn department. All I do is keep expanding beds and adding more beds sorta like what you're doing in your frontyard. Ultimately I'll end up expanding the natural areas into the existing lawn then going with a big prairie out front and a no-mow of some sort for a space out back large enough to play croquet. Your end result will most likely end up more attractive than mine. You seem more organized and methodical than me.
Now I highly doubt that! It's just a really, really small space, so it looks organized even if it isn't. Your prairie out front sounds like classic Illinois; I've heard a number of people do that out there. Our front is going to remain a bit more formal for the time being, it seems. We may have to sell this house in a few years, so I can't quite give form to my wildest dreams in the front - that's what the back is for. Now I just need to get plants to fill the remaining parts of the new beds. A few clumps of grass, a few sun-loving native perennials - that's the idea, but no fully developed plan yet.

Quote:
Your frontyard looks fantastic. Your backyard is coming along fast. In that area where the grass isn't growing I'd probably go scouring the neighborhood for rubber roofing liner and I'd make a pond. You have all the elements of habitat to bring them to you except water.
A little pond would be great. Even just a birdbath. In fact, that's probably as big as it could be - most of the yard really does have seedlings coming up, but there is a bare patch on the left of the picture, about 2 ft by 2 ft, and another empty spot way in the back, right corner. I've thought about getting some quick-mix concrete and making a small birdbath out of it.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
WG Facilitator

Hubby's idea of the ideal yard is to concrete it, mine is to plant flowerbeds everywhere so there's no yard left. It looks like you've done both.

And it looks GREAT

Last edited by biigblueyes; 06-07-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Great idea the way you mulched around the plants. You completed avoided the conventional circle around the tree look. It really has an artistic feel to it, and it looks terrific!
Oh, thanks! I don't think of myself as artistic at all, but I knew I didn't want any sharp edges, and I wanted functional paths that would allow me to weed in any part of the beds without much trouble. That black leaf compost will also be replacing the chemically dyed wood chips in the old beds, haven't gotten to that part yet.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Hubby's idea of the ideal yard is to concrete it, mine is to plant flowerbeds everywhere so there's no yard left. It looks like you've done both.

And it looks GREAT
heh heh Thanks! All that concrete was there when we bought the house. I actually wish that right up against the house there were no concrete, so that I could plant a little bed to take off some of the stark-ness of the house's facade. I suppose the concrete looks nice when I clean it off, which is pretty irregularly.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
WG Guardian Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
heh heh Thanks! All that concrete was there when we bought the house. I actually wish that right up against the house there were no concrete, so that I could plant a little bed to take off some of the stark-ness of the house's facade. I suppose the concrete looks nice when I clean it off, which is pretty irregularly.
Sounds like a great place for some large container plants, then. Or layered small ones. Or tomatoes in buckets. Well, maybe that's just me.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
Sounds like a great place for some large container plants, then. Or layered small ones. Or tomatoes in buckets. Well, maybe that's just me.
I agree! I've added some containers this year, but not many, more of an experimental thing. I think I'll do more next year.

Tags
care, dear, lawn, people