Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I finally got a chance to watch these--I'm up to the 3rd one and plan to continue watching number 4 after this post. This series makes me realize that I don't think I'm really doing a "native garden"; I think I'm picturing more of a large expanse of native "mini-" habitats that will blend into each other in a pleasing way. Still, I continue to insist that I'm thinking more of a "landscaping look" around the house, but based on what I'm seeing in her slide show, I'm not so sure that mine will look landscaped or not.

Being that she is working with California native plants, I am basically just looking for some ideas that I could incorporate into my plans here (with my Pennsylvania natives). For the most part, the hard-scaped paths don't work for me. Of course, I'll have sidewalks, but I'll need to figure out what to do with the majority of my paths.

Well, off to see number 4 catch you later.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Alternate POM Judge

It sounds like you are interested in a more formal landscape dap? My grass paths are beginning to turn to mud. Where is that dream thread? I would love brick walkways. Don't think that will happen. In the backyard where the dog is a lot I have been putting down slate where there is mud.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #23

In part 4, I have to agree with here about using different sized rocks for a dry creekbed (or a wet one, for that matter--which is what I'm planning). Although it was apparently unsuccessful, she did install a dry creekbed for one customer that was supposed to double as a path. That idea did occur to me for a path behind my pond--mostly because the pond is higher than the path (an unnatural situation); I thought to remedy it by making it look as though the stream originally flower that way (hence the dry creekbed)...and hopefully, if I try to make it a path, I'll have more success. It wasn't clear why she said it was not quite successful.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #24

One thing she mentioned in part 5 that I think is worth repeating was that ~90% of maintenance work is created by us--this in regard to keeping in mind how tall/big a plant gets and making sure it fits the space. The idea that we will "just prune it", proves we are often our own worst enemy in regard to creating more work for ourselves.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
It sounds like you are interested in a more formal landscape dap? My grass paths are beginning to turn to mud. Where is that dream thread? I would love brick walkways. Don't think that will happen. In the backyard where the dog is a lot I have been putting down slate where there is mud.
"Formal landscape" doesn't sound quite right to me. I guess I'm thinking that it would be a cross between a more "traditional looking" landscape and a natural area/natural habitat. I know "traditional looking" is a vague term meaning different things to different people. I guess what I'm thinking is that I want to incorporate more of a "design" in the areas near the house, and more of a "totally natural look" in the more "wild" areas of the yard. The fact is, even the wild areas will likely have some hints of design (my attempt to make things look "most natural" through design--seems contradictory)...and the "designed" areas will have a "totally natural" quality to them! (I don't think I'm making much sense.)

The fact is, and I may follow through with this on the Dream Big thread, if money were no object, I think I'd try my best to make the whole yard a natural-looking blend of native habitats (woodland, meadow, pond, wetland, and the intermediate areas where they meet). So, in a sense, I want the house to look as though it was plopped down into a natural setting--or that nature grew in around the house...but not in an unkempt, out of control way!

Anyway, here is the Dream BIG! thread.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I followed your post dap. Very interesting. I like your plot plan too. My biggest challenge is understory plants like shrubs and small trees. I read that arrowwood viburnum can grow in shade. Does anyone have that growing in shade? I have some along my pasture fence to transplant.
Ellen, I've planted arrowwood in both shade and partial shade (morning sun). Despite its reputed shade tolerance, the plants that get some sun are doing better.

People keep recommending spicebush. I bought three at a native plant nursery but can't tell how they're actually doing. I keep forgetting to spray them, so the deer eat all the new growth. (And these plants are next to our driveway, under the carport, ten feet from the neighbor's house!)

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #27

check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
People keep recommending spicebush. I bought three at a native plant nursery but can't tell how they're actually doing. I keep forgetting to spray them, so the deer eat all the new growth. (And these plants are next to our driveway, under the carport, ten feet from the neighbor's house!)

I have spicebush. I think of it as growing in the understory...however, each of the ones I have do get some sun. One is under a large elm with other trees, but there is a clearing near it, so I'm sure it gets a fair share of sun. Another is in the section I plan to add more trees to and create a denser woodland, but currently it doesn't have much of a canopy. The other two are in the section between our house and our neighbor's house...they are on the edge of a row of trees, so again, no dense shade. However, I did divide them from bushes my mother had that must've had a thicker canopy than mine currently do.

As for deer, mine might get lightly browsed, but I don't think the deer go out of their way to eat them! Sorry you aren't having the same experience, Rebek.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
Offical Silphium Abuser

Dap, the North Parkersburg deer herd eats everything that isn't poisonous, (excessively) prickly, or pungent.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Dap, the North Parkersburg deer herd eats everything that isn't poisonous, (excessively) prickly, or pungent.
I thought spicebush might be a bit pungent. Oh well.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
Alternate POM Judge

Thank you for the info on arrowwood Rebek. I will try to plant it in part sun. I recently discovered I have spicebush. It seems to do well in its shady spot. I just planted a seedling in my front yard. I am very fortunate to not have a problem with deer.

Tags
converting, garden, lawn, native, plant