Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Grub

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I don't know different kinds of butterflies and need to get a book on it to learn.

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc_0080.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc_0082.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc_0076.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc_0086.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc_0073.jpg
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
Heron

Yesterday at a state park nearby we spotted 2 Black Swallowtails and a Spring Azure. I was not able to get pictures....everytime I got close they flitted away.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit this but I don't know different kinds of butterflies and need to get a book on it to learn.

Attachment 28990

Attachment 28988

Attachment 28991

Attachment 28989

Attachment 28992
The first one is one of the sulphurs in the family Pieridae; the second and fourth images are of a red admiral (Vanessa atalanta; Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae); the third one is a common buckeye (Junonia coenia; Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae), and the fifth one is one of the hairstreaks in the family Lycaenidae - see http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/s...on_melinus.jpg for an example.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Lungwort

Linda, It was good to meet you this weekend and thank you soooo much for the Asclepias texana and the Amsonia longeflora!!! Do the cats like the A. texana?
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Yesterday when I was starting my spring cleaning of some little ponds.... I saw this!!! Happy happy happy dance!!! It's the 1st I've ever seen here at home and it was right outside my front door!!!
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-img_8781.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Lungwort

Savannah, YEARS AGO,I traded a book about Lucas Samaras for a book of Insects of the world by Walter Linsenmaier. It became my first date with my husband. I recommend the book highly but I bet it is out of print and pricey. The illustrations are beautifully hand drawn , but really Google is better for IDing. I google "butterfies of texas" cause I have seen everything and got all of those you showed. I had to do it to ID a hog snake that was hissing at me in my garden work area this weekend. NO, I did not kill it, and I put my cat inside while we cut the snake out of the bird netting that it had gotten caught in.
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Salamander

Mara, you're welcome! And it was great to meet you! Yes, cats do like it! Both the Monarch and the Queen use A. texana. BTW, I don't think I mentioned this to you, but when A. texana out on my property is blooming, it might occasionally have just the blooms themselves eaten by deer. Just FYI. Deer really do eat things you wouldn't think they would not, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damianita View Post
Linda, It was good to meet you this weekend and thank you soooo much for the Asclepias texana and the Amsonia longeflora!!! Do the cats like the A. texana?
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Yesterday when I was starting my spring cleaning of some little ponds.... I saw this!!! Happy happy happy dance!!! It's the 1st I've ever seen here at home and it was right outside my front door!!!
Lib, what is it?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

It's a hummingbird moth.... probably Hemaris spp. but which 1.... I haven't had time to go looking it up yet. It's the 1st I've ever seen here. Here's to many more where that came from!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
Heron

We are fortunate to have many hummingbird moths here, but I've never seen one this early in the season. In my yard I see them a lot at the Monarda blossoms, they seem to really love those!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly photos, caterpillar, frittilaries, halysidota tessellaris, monarch, moth, moth caterpillar, moths, photos, pictures, pipevine swallowtail, red admiral, skippers, swallowtail, tussock