Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Monarchs in Michoacan, Mexico

I have these videos from my trip to Mexico in 2009. I don't know why I've never shared them on here before. Probably because they aren't all that great since I am a horrible videographer!

Anyways, I posted one on You Tube and have several others that I will add soon. This video barely shows the multitudes of monarchs we saw on our visits to the colonies in El Rosario and Sierra Chincua.

I hope to some day get back and see them again. I fell in love with Mexico and its people. My heart aches for what they are going through with the drug wars and unrest.

Enjoy!
Monarchs in Sierra Chincua, Michoacan, 2009 - YouTube

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Lungwort

Thank you for sharing, Bridget; I enjoyed your videos. I too, would like to make it to Mexico to see the wintering Monarchs; it's probably one the top rankings of my bucket list. Till then, I'll keep a few flowers blooming and a quiet, peaceful back yard with lots of yummy milkweed around... just in case a female wants to drop in and spend a little time here.
Asclepias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ohmagod.... there's so many of them flying around it's like skeeters filling the skies where I live and the trees look like they're dripping with monarchs!!! I watched it again and turned it up and heard you sigh. Gave me goosebumps.... wish I'd been there with ya!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepias View Post
Thank you for sharing, Bridget; I enjoyed your videos. I too, would like to make it to Mexico to see the wintering Monarchs; it's probably one the top rankings of my bucket list. Till then, I'll keep a few flowers blooming and a quiet, peaceful back yard with lots of yummy milkweed around... just in case a female wants to drop in and spend a little time here.
Asclepias, glad you liked them! Even though I've already been there, I most definitely need to go back. So glad people like you provide the habitat the monarchs need.

Lib, I get goosebumps every time I watch the videos and look at my pictures. I am preparing for a presentation that I am giving tomorrow and love looking at the photos and video. It truly is an amazing thing to experience! They were like skeeters flying all around, but really, really big ones! And the sound their wings made...truly magic. Whenever I want a group of people to know how it sounds, I get everyone really quiet, then tell them to rub their hands together. That's what it sounds like--almost like a light wind or rain!

I will let you know WHEN (not if) I am going again.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

"Whenever I want a group of people to know how it sounds, I get everyone really quiet, then tell them to rub their hands together. That's what it sounds like--almost like a light wind or rain!" You must be 1 helluvagood teacher!!!
--
Just an FYI... the US is still taking Mexican currency on this side but.... Mexicans aren't taking US currency anymore anywhere as of this year... they're saying it's to curb the drug cartels but... well.... whatever. Next time you go.... you'll either have to convert before you go over or pay big bucks converting after you get there. My husband was just down that way but we got the heads up from hava and her husband when they went to Mexico and had no way to convert and only like $300 cash between the 2 of them.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

Beautiful video Bridget...all those butterflies!!! Must have been amazing to see.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Thanks, Lib! I don't feel like an amazing teacher most of the time, but I strive to be daily. If you came into my classroom, you'd be amazed at all the little critters all around the room. Right now we are raising about 30 buckeye butterflies along with a bunch of monarchs, dozens of guppies and a solitary dragonfly.

Becky, it really is an amazing site to see. I hope to get back down there again in my lifetime and highly recommend a visit!

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Thanks, Lib! I don't feel like an amazing teacher most of the time, but I strive to be daily. If you came into my classroom, you'd be amazed at all the little critters all around the room. Right now we are raising about 30 buckeye butterflies along with a bunch of monarchs, dozens of guppies and a solitary dragonfly.
It's wonderful that you introduce your students to nature the way that you do. You are planting the seeds of a life long respect and caring for our natural world.

I've just been rereading Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There". I think he would be delighted with what you do. He stresses the importance of cultivating a reverence for nature and the importance of education to reach a meaningful land ethic. It was exciting how just reading his book brought back so many memories of my childhood experiences with nature. I think when your students get older they too will remember those wonderful childhood experiences with insects in your classroom.

Amazon.com: A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There (9780195007770): Aldo Leopold, Charles W. Schwartz: Books

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

If you came up with this.... ""Whenever I want a group of people to know how it sounds, I get everyone really quiet, then tell them to rub their hands together. That's what it sounds like--almost like a light wind or rain!" I'd say you've got what it take baby!!!

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, butterfly migration, butterfly video, el rosario, mexico, michoacan, migration, monarch, monarch butterfly, monarch migration, monarch video, monarchs, sierra chincua, video