Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #31
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
We have been seeing more monarchs than usual in our garden this summer. Butterflies and moths in general have higher numbers per species but I think number of species is down unless I am missing some. It was very rainy early in summer but now our corridor has been very dry for over a month. Not a real drought but enough to crack soil and change insect populations. Since the liatris cylindracea/cylindrical blazing star began blooming there have been multiple sightings daily with two or three each time. Sometimes one will land near another and be chased off as another slips in to sip at the nectar. Very exciting.

First picture is of a rather battered older Monarch. Some have fresh and brand new like they just emerged and were drying wings. We have seen many cats but I seldom interfere. The garden has been a successful way station this year.
Liatris, they love, that's for sure! Glad you're meeting with success out there in the Chicago area. Here in Mass we could give you some of the excessive rainfall we've been getting throughout August. I went away to Maine last week and when I returned, there was four inches of rain in a bucket I had left on the deck, and it had already been wet for a week and more. Wettest August in a long time here. Usually, everything is stressed by this time, but this year, tress are ponderous with leaves and none are dropping. The pollinators seem to have liked the wet weather, as well!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #32
Salamander

This link will take you to some cool monarch macro pics.

https://tedkinsman.photoshelter.com/...=t&_ACT=search
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
This link will take you to some cool monarch macro pics.

https://tedkinsman.photoshelter.com/...=t&_ACT=search
Wow!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #34
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh wow. Now that guy has quite the talent!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #35
Great Horned Owl

Default Good news for milkweed lovers (like monarchs)

https://www.mnn.com/money/green-work...ilkweed-parkas

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
WG Facebook Administrator

Our swamp milkweeds were loaded with two generations of cats. Some of them stayed on the milkweeds to make their chrysalises, and so we were able to observe the whole cycle. We even managed to catch one butterfly at the moment of emergence. Our 7-year-old daughter was very excited about the whole thing, and it was a treat for us too. We measured the caterpillars to see which instar they were, etc. And then we also got into identifying other caterpillars we found. Lots of different tussock moths this time of year!

Monarchs-hanging-cat.jpg
Monarchs-clear-chrysalis.jpg
Monarchs-new-monarch.jpg
Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #37
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Our swamp milkweeds were loaded with two generations of cats. Some of them stayed on the milkweeds to make their chrysalises, and so we were able to observe the whole cycle. We even managed to catch one butterfly at the moment of emergence. Our 7-year-old daughter was very excited about the whole thing, and it was a treat for us too. We measured the caterpillars to see which instar they were, etc. And then we also got into identifying other caterpillars we found. Lots of different tussock moths this time of year!

Attachment 46162
Attachment 46161
Attachment 46163
Awesome photos.

Awesome experience.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #38
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Lots of different tussock moths this time of year!
If the caterpillar is hairy and eating milkweed, it is most likely a species of tiger moth. Tussocks tend to stick to trees/woody species including pine. There may be a tussock that will eat milkweed but I'm not aware of it.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #39
Salamander

Monarch Joint Venture and Xerces both released recommendations concerning people raising monarchs.

https://monarchjointventure.org/news...why-or-why-not

https://xerces.org/2018/09/11/keep-monarchs-wild/

Both have led to a lot of discussion on the internet. My biggest shock was when I found out I was part of the problem. I was accused of being against the efforts to save the species. And since I don't bleach monarch eggs, I'm dooming the monarch migration. The butterfly breeders have done a good job of getting the sheep to accept that how butterfly breeders raise monarchs is the way to save the migration.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #40
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
If the caterpillar is hairy and eating milkweed, it is most likely a species of tiger moth. Tussocks tend to stick to trees/woody species including pine. There may be a tussock that will eat milkweed but I'm not aware of it.

Oh yeah, the tussock moth caterpillars we're finding are in grass, on crabapple trees, on aspen trees, etc.

Tags
monarchs