Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Am I even close?

I tried to ID this one myself just by searching images online. Could this be a Coenonympha tullia-inornata?
Attached Thumbnails
Am I even close?-016.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Nice photo and really pretty flutterby! I think you are correct!

http://www.silentecho.org/fauna/Comm...31-3FRAMED.jpg

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Nice photo and really pretty flutterby! I think you are correct!

http://www.silentecho.org/fauna/CommonRinglet-CoenonymphaTulliaInornata-04Aug31-3FRAMED.jpg

Thank you. I had little energy after work today, but I went out and walked my paths with camera in hand. I happened to see the butterfly flutter by, and, luckily, it stayed put long enough for the camera to focus on it-- I can't wait until I get a camera that allows me to do manual focus!

I ended up watering my new dogwoods, seedlings, and a few wildflowers I put in recently. I'm hoping to have more energy again SOON!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

I am without energy myself these past few days. Kids at school are really wearing me down. Plus, we went on a field trip to NYC yesterday and I am just whipped! Need a couple days off. Glad the holiday is coming up. Three days of digging in the dirt!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I am without energy myself these past few days. Kids at school are really wearing me down. Plus, we went on a field trip to NYC yesterday and I am just whipped! Need a couple days off. Glad the holiday is coming up. Three days of digging in the dirt!
I'm in the school system too, and yes, this time of the year just seems to drain us all. Enjoy digging in the dirt; nature is so rejuvenating!

I can't wait to have time off to do more on our property, but, by then, it will be summer...not the best time to transplant. I have lots of big rocks and small boulders to move during the heat of summer too. If I ever get around to digging a pond, it will be during the summer, too, probably.

BTW, I checked out your blog--great job! That has to take up a lot of your time and energy too.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Wow, are you a teacher as well?

Thanks for the compliments on the blog. Yes, it does take a lot of time and I don't work on it as much as I used to. I created it so that my students could follow me when I went to Mexico to see the monarch butterflies in their winter colonies. What an amazing experience!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow, are you a teacher as well?

Thanks for the compliments on the blog. Yes, it does take a lot of time and I don't work on it as much as I used to. I created it so that my students could follow me when I went to Mexico to see the monarch butterflies in their winter colonies. What an amazing experience!
No, I am a sign language interpreter working in a public school.

That was a great reason to start the blog, but it is nice that you continue it when you can. I have seen documentaries about their migration to Mexico--how cool that you were able to witness it first hand!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

Wow! What an excellent career! Do you enjoy it? Are you in an elementary or a high school?

Yeah, I loved Mexico and fell in love with the people and the land. The monarchs were spectacular and something that I thought I'd never witness in my lifetime.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Wow! What an excellent career! Do you enjoy it? Are you in an elementary or a high school?

Yeah, I loved Mexico and fell in love with the people and the land. The monarchs were spectacular and something that I thought I'd never witness in my lifetime.
Yes, I've always loved my career...this year has been tough though!

I've worked in middle schools, high schools, and am currently in an elementary school. I've really enjoyed this age--it kind of surprised me.

Cool that you not only witnessed it in your lifetime, but you can share it with your students--and those of us on this forum, too.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #10

I'd love to attract Monarchs to our property. Last year I added several butterfly weed (A. tuberosa) and bought another one this spring --oops, I just remembered I was suposed to post about the nursery I visited!

I have a couple A. incarnata and want to add some others including the common milkweed.

I am happy to see some butterflies in the yard, but until I get more nectar sources and host plants, I guess I can't expect too many yet.

Tags
close