Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Heron

Default weird criket like insect

I've seen this little guy a few times in the milkweed patch and boy is he fast. It looks like a cross between a cricket and an earwig. sorry the pictures aren't the best I'll try to get some better ones later but like i said he is FAST!
weird criket like insect-p1030507.jpg

weird criket like insect-p1030505.jpg
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Believe it or not.... I think even though your photos suck I might know what this oddball colored cricket is. I took a photo of a red-headed cricket that had a black body and green legs in either KY or TN about 10 years ago and.... I remember spending hours trying to figure out what it was. Drum roll.... it was a red-headed cricket. What's even weirder looking than these crickets are the mole crickets. They're pretty wild looking.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ya know.... I didn't mean it the way it came out when I said your photos sucked. I'm sure you woulda done much better if your "subject" woulda just cooperated and moved into a better spot!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ya know.... I didn't mean it the way it came out when I said your photos sucked. I'm sure you woulda done much better if your "subject" woulda just cooperated and moved into a better spot!!!
Thanks I was about to call my Therapist
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Heron

And thanks for the ID who would have known red-headed cricket! must have not been feeling very creative that day. Do you know if it eats milkweed or is it predatory? I was just wondering why it likes hanging out on milkweed.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I was gonna edit that out quick fast but I saw your dot was green and figured you were already reading what I'd typed so... no point to the exercise. You can cyber whoop me if your therapist can't talk you through the "issues" I've created for ya!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Quote:
Thanks I was about to call my Therapist
LOL!

I actually just skimmed the thread, but when I saw Equil's comment, I had to go back to see if you (recurve) had said they sucked. When I saw you hadn't, I was a little shocked! ~smile~ Funny though, I knew what she meant...that they were not ideal for identification purposes.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Thank GOD recurve's got a decent sense of humor, eh!!!! Minute I read what I'd typed and saw his green dot.... I was like oh CRAP.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Heron

Quote:
Thank GOD recurve's got a decent sense of humor, eh!!!! Minute I read what I'd typed and saw his green dot.... I was like oh CRAP.
DECENT sense of humor!!!!! That's it I'm sending you my Therapist's bill!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Oh boy.... I'm just taking 1 foot out of my mouth long enough to insert the other 1 so I better shut up quick fast.

Tags
bud id, bug, bugs, crickets, criket, identification, identify, insect, insect id, insects, red, red cricket, red-headed cricket, weird