Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Holy Ground

Holy Ground
A Gathering of Voices on Caring for Creation
Edited by Lyndsay Moseley and the Staff of Sierra Club Books
Hardcover (ISBN: 978-1-57805-160-1)
Paperback (ISBN: 978-1-57805-167-0)

https://secure2.convio.net/sierra/si...&store_id=1621
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Religions worldwide celebrate Earth’s abundance and sustenance, and call on humankind to give thanks, practice compassion, seek justice, and be mindful of future generations. Here, leaders from many faith traditions, along with writers who hold nature sacred, articulate the moral and spiritual imperative of stewardship and share personal stories of coming to understand humans’ unique power and responsibility to care for creation. Holy Ground features essays, sermons, and other short pieces from, among others, Pope Benedict XVI, Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I, Islamic scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Rabbis Zoe Klein and Arthur Waskow, Evangelical pastors Joel Hunter and Brian McLaren, environmental justice proponents Allen Johnson and Kristin Shrader-Frechette, Native American novelist Linda Hogan, and writers Wendell Berry, Gary Snyder, Terry Tempest Williams, and David James Duncan. In a world polarized by “culture wars,” religious extremism, and political manipulation, this collection is a sure sign of hope.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Heron

As you may have heard there's a bible with writings from the old and new testament and the book of Genesis, It's called the green bible and focuses on Ecology. Holy Ground [From the Excerpts] seems to not focus on just Christianity but what Native Americans, Hindus and others thought spiritually.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Sounds interesting. I was surprised to see many authors I have read including Wendell Berry, Gary Snyder and especially Terry Tempest Williams. As far as Christianity and the Bible, I'm afraid I left that behind after confirmation as a child. Perhaps I could give it another look with this book although I have a stong aversion to anthropocentrism. On the other hand, humans have to clean up after themselves don't they? Perhaps we can do as much good as we have done harm.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, books, caring, creation, gathering, ground, holy, holy ground, voices