Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Fox

Default The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (Pollan)

Amazon.com: The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (9780143038580): Michael Pollan: Books
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Heron

I just got this book on cd for my commute to and from school. I'm about half way through and WOW!!! I feel like I want to just go out and grow and forage all my food! Has anyone else read this book and what are your thoughts on it?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I just got this book on cd for my commute to and from school. I'm about half way through and WOW!!! I feel like I want to just go out and grow and forage all my food! Has anyone else read this book and what are your thoughts on it?
After reading that book, I reduced my animal intake to only free range buffalo meat. That lasted six months, and then I went totally vegan. That was three years ago, so it all started with that book. I found it enlightening, as I was quite ignorant about a lot of the things it brought to my attention. Yea, I read it and I share your enthusiasm for it...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
After reading that book, I reduced my animal intake to only free range buffalo meat. That lasted six months, and then I went totally vegan. That was three years ago, so it all started with that book. I found it enlightening, as I was quite ignorant about a lot of the things it brought to my attention. Yea, I read it and I share your enthusiasm for it...
Jack I admire you for your lifestyle change because I know I don't have it in me me to go vegetarian let alone vegan. This book has also opened my eyes too many things I feel ignorant of and I plan on intensifying my gardening and preserving efforts next year and hopefully start raising some of my own animals on my property. I just wish that anyone who has aspirations for living sustainably on this planet read this book.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Heron

I love this book, too. My husband and I try to live sustainably, too. Our choices include growing some of our own food, harvesting wild game and fish, and obtaining what we can locally, or at least buying what we can that is organic. A year ago, I was pleased to discover a local grower/farmer who did an internship with Polyface Farms.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Heron

After I bought this book I've certainly looked at fast food differently.

The Author also goes into how the cows eat the grass and manure the field and by the way have shiny healthy coats on the Polyface farm but not where he was in Iowa

Which is then followed by the movable chicken coops after the manure is full of maggots which the Author assures you isn't uncommon in nature.

In fact that's the whole premise of the book; Let nature do some of the work.

For Instance in the Cow barn corn is sprinkled on the cattle bedding and once the cattle build up a layer of manure, straw, and wood chips the hogs happily root through the piles eating the corn which now is ready to complete the circle and get spread on the fields. Oh the corn has fermented too making for some happy squealers

All the time the Author has you questioning our Corporate Farming methods with the manure lagoons and cruelty to the animals on those farms.

And that's a big part of the book; How Polyface farms animals have smiles on their faces right up until the end and how the eggs are cherished by the cooks along with all the other animals.

The Author also explains how the USDA has plenty of regulations which the people who raise their meat humanely keeps them from processing the cows and the pigs on their farms and how this not only raises the price of beef by a dollar a pound but doesn't make the processed meat any healthier

Mr Pollan explains how all the beef must be irradiated and that every slaughterhouse has to have a private restroom for the USDA Inspectors [What?]

Add onto this a farm being zoned Agricultural and the Slaughterhouse as Manufacturing and you can see the wall the USDA has built to keep us buying irradiated meat instead of grass fed beef.

The Author does slaughter a few chickens which Polyface farms can use for both the rabbits and chickens. I've learned since ancient times slaughtering animals was rotated amongst the consumers: No one should have to slaughter 50 to 60 hours a week according to the owner of Poly face farms.

I agree
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dilemma, history, meals, natural, omnivore, pollan