Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

leaf The Shrub Identification Book: The Visual Method for the Practical Identification... (Symonds)

'The Shrub Identification' Book by George W. Symonds
Amazon.com: The Shrub Identification Book: The Visual Method for the Practical Identification of Shrubs, Including Woody Vines and Ground Covers: George W. Symonds, A. W. Merwin: Books

This is a companion to 'The Tree Identification Book'. They're both one and onlies IMHO. You can identify just about any woody shrub or vine using the pictoral keys in this book. We're talking an identification book only so don't be expecting to find cultural information. I have no problems with the black and white photographs in the book. I prefer them to color which can be distracting. I read a review on the book that stated, "This is a 'multiple entry' key, a rare type. You can start with any part of the plant - leaf, twig, flower, bark, even armament -- and quickly reduce your possibilities or confirm your id." True, very true. My copy is trashed it's used so much.

Last edited by Calliandra; 07-30-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Pope

Thanks for the review, Equilibrium. I was just reading about this book last week on Amazon and had put it on my wish list. It's good to hear about it from someone I know and trust.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

It's the best of the best for identification of shrubs and vines of Eastern North America IMHO.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Co-Administrator

I have both of those books, and I'll second Equilibrium's recommendation. They are the first books I turn to to ID a tree, shrub or vine. No filtering through a bunch of extraneous information; it goes right to the key characteristics that separate the species.
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, identification, method, practical, shrub, symonds, trees, visual