Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #41
Heron

Default Succsess can be achieved

Two little cuties
Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-p1030517.jpg
I've removed 7 nests, 2 clutches of eggs and 1 female HOSP from this box this season and finally the bluebirds won
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #42
Salamander

FANTASTIC!!!

Creating "HOSP free" zones works!

I just got back from a week of fishing. I have three young bluebirds in a box that are about a week younger than those. I just checked them and they seemed fine. The adults were concerned with me checking because I've been gone. All three were healthy, but I lifted the nest and there were dozens of blowfly larvae. I don't think that the young would have survived if I had not removed most of them. I'll get more tomorrow. They can take some parasite load, but I have lost entire broods to blowfly.

In the mid-Michigan area blowfly start in late June/early July. I just lift the entire nest during the day. Blowfly larvae hang there and feed at night. I sweep the little buggers out with the fingers on my other hand. They would make good panfish bait.

Keep up the great work!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
FANTASTIC!!!

Creating "HOSP free" zones works!

I just got back from a week of fishing. I have three young bluebirds in a box that are about a week younger than those. I just checked them and they seemed fine. The adults were concerned with me checking because I've been gone. All three were healthy, but I lifted the nest and there were dozens of blowfly larvae. I don't think that the young would have survived if I had not removed most of them. I'll get more tomorrow. They can take some parasite load, but I have lost entire broods to blowfly.

Wow, I have not heard of blowfly infestation of bluebirds down here, now I shall have to ask about it occuring with Texas birds . Have not encountered it with the broods on my place. Good information!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #44
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Two little cuties
Attachment 31289
I've removed 7 nests, 2 clutches of eggs and 1 female HOSP from this box this season and finally the bluebirds won
Congrats! It is wonderful that you have made progress against such a formidable foe!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #45
Salamander

Default Foot Canker on HOSP?

Well, I haven't had time to look at the website much---been trapping HOSP every chance I have, which is a weekend day here and there. They usually come over to my place in bigger numbers this time of year, and I am catching as many as I can before the chipping sparrows and whitethroats, etc. arrive. So far I have caught at least 60, mostly females, mostly juveniles---an accomplishment because these rural birds are canny and require more strategy to catch. A female I just caught had this foot canker looking stuff on both her feet (and starting to go up one leg). This is a condition I have not seen before. A fungus? Benign tumors? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-hosp-feet1.jpg   Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-hosp-foot2.jpg   Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-hosp-foot-2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #46
Salamander

Default Foot Pox?

My research on the internet has brought up a possible culprit---Foot Pox. Viral, possibly spread by mosquitos, can be highly infectious. This affected bird was still in good physical condition. I will see if I can contact the Texas Ornithological Society for a positive ID.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #47
Official Plant Nerd

Lemme know what you find out.... I've never seen that before and I hope I don't but... now that I've seen your photos.... I wanna know!!! Really great photos.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #48
Salamander

It sure looks like pox. Wonder if we will see more of it due to the warm winter/summer. No-see-ms (sp?) are spreading a disease trough our southern Michigan whitetail herds and killing thousands.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #49
Salamander

Default Avian Pox

Haven't had time to confirm that this is indeed Avian Pox, but it is a pretty sure bet. I am attempting to send an info link, not too experienced with that sort of thing....

USGS National Wildlife Health Center - Avian Pox

Hope it works!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #50
Salamander

And another one for Equil!

Avian Pox - How To Treat Your Chickens For Avian Pox - BackYard Chickens Community

(Though she might have seen it already!)

Last edited by scarecrowsdrm; 09-27-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Additional info

Tags
bird, bird house, birdhouse, birds, bluebird house, bluebirds, english, hosp, house, house sparrow, invasive birds, invasive species, managing, sparrow, sparrow spooker, sparrow trap, sparrows, trap, use for raptor rehabilitators