Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Grrrrrrrreat photos!!!
Yes, they are great! I meant to mention that, but spent too much time separating out all of the quotes that I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nothing using the bluebird house I had set up.
Moss starting to go into the tiny box the wren had used two years ago.
Aww...give it some time.

Keep us posted on the wren box. When I hear moss, I think chickadee--but that is just because I have limited experience with bird nests (aside from my recent experiences with bluebirds, chickadees, and robin nests, oh--and I had a phoebe a couple of years ago too).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #52
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I have no idea as to what uses and builds with what as far as bird nests go....
I'll keep an eye on it to see what develops if those cruddy free roaming cats don't eat em up first.
I just can't seem to get up the courage to set up a live trap to remove the cats for fear of capturing a skunk instead!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #53
Salamander

Quote:
I have no idea as to what uses and builds with what as far as bird nests go....
I'll keep an eye on it to see what develops if those cruddy free roaming cats don't eat em up first.
I just can't seem to get up the courage to set up a live trap to remove the cats for fear of capturing a skunk instead!
Chicken!

Having trapped more cats, coons, opossum, than I care to think of, one fox and some skunk, I can say that you would have little to worry about. Here is what I do:

Get a tarp that you don't care about. It should be at least four feet wide and long enough to go from below your eyes, to your feet. Scrunch up one end, so that you won't trip on it when you hold it below your eyes. Slowly approach the trap with your mighty shield. Skunk have never seen a big tarp coming toward them and are generally curious. As long as they are looking at the tarp, you have nothing to fear. If they start to turn, back off. Don't make any sudden moves. Just make a slow, fluid motion toward the trap and gently drop the tarp over the trap. Now the skunk feels safer. It is in a dark place, like a den. If you intend to catch and release, practice opening the trap and locking the door open with the tarp over it. Lock it open and leave after you pull the tarp back enough for the skunk to see the opening. I have never even smelled one that I have trapped. I have a solution if you do not intend to release the skunk.

I never took a photo of a trapped skunk. This kit kept stealing my cat bait, so I wired it in. Its sibling woke me by yipping for it to get moving. It barked at me and laid down in the trap. As soon as I opened the door the fox was gone. I never even saw it get up!
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-img_0680.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #54

skunk

bawk bqawk. So pray tell.... Just
h
oW am
i to move the thing if
i do capture the skunk
/

Oh wow....How funny!
The results of trying to type with my back turned while watching the teli...Must have had my hand leaning upon some,thing.
I'll rewrite it if you can't decode it...

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
This kit kept stealing my cat bait, so I wired it in. Its sibling woke me by yipping for it to get moving. It barked at me and laid down in the trap. As soon as I opened the door the fox was gone. I never even saw it get up!
Beautiful creature.

I still want to see a fox on our property.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #56
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Our first bluebird nestlings have fledged, only 4 out of 5 but still good. Now we have a new bluebird nest in the same box, one egg present as of today. The new lower box that has not shown any interest now has a bluebird nest in it - happy day!!! The chickadees, all seven of them, have fledged and that box is now empty, no new nests yet.

It's been a good bird year so far!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Our first bluebird nestlings have fledged, only 4 out of 5 but still good. Now we have a new bluebird nest in the same box, one egg present as of today. The new lower box that has not shown any interest now has a bluebird nest in it - happy day!!! The chickadees, all seven of them, have fledged and that box is now empty, no new nests yet.

It's been a good bird year so far!
Congratulations, linrose. How wonderful (sorry one didn't make it)...and it is good to know you have a new bluebird nest...and in the new box at that!

I'm nearly sure that my bluebirds fledged the other day when I was gone. I'll open the box in a day or two to check for sure.

I have the chickadees and a pair of tree swallows nesting now...and I added another box after seeing that there were FOUR tree swallows flying around and not just two. Hopefully, that box will get some use before the season is over.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Aww...give it some time.

Keep us posted on the wren box. When I hear moss, I think chickadee--but that is just because I have limited experience with bird nests (aside from my recent experiences with bluebirds, chickadees, and robin nests, oh--and I had a phoebe a couple of years ago too).
You were correct. I checked the box in the field this week and a chickadee flew from it when I gave the tree a gentle tap.
Not very far...Within an arms length! She watched me the entire time I opened the sliding panel on her nest box to get a look see....
It was pretty neat to view her up close like that. She's not sleek as they usually are...Has a bit of a fluff, looks like downy feathers above her plumage...She has herself a clutch of eggs.

Nothing at all in the new bluebird house..... It's posted at eye level. Should I hang it higher?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #59

Cool experience to witness isn't it?
Quote:
Nothing at all in the new bluebird house..... It's posted at eye level. Should I hang it higher?
Mine are just about at eye level too...I still can't really see over the nest without a mirror though.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #60

Guess I'll leave it be for the year. I even stuffed a bit of dried grass into its entry hole last week hoping something will notice it as a potential nesting sight. So far, it's a no go.

Tags
2012, baby birds, bird, bird eggs, bird house, bird nest, birds, blue, blue bird, bluebird house, bluebird nest, bluebirds, brood, chickadee, eggs, hatch, hatchlings, house, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nests, wren