Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Thanks recurve, your pictures really fill out the plans for me. I'd build one of these tomorrow if I weren't already planning on building bat houses...
One question; the diagram and directions seem to indicate that the entrance board should be doubled up so that it totals 1.5" thick, yet the cutting diagram doesn't show this. Did I read that right?
You did read it right I didn't notice that myself(had to look back at the link) I made mine single thickness my understanding is that the 1.5" thickness is to deter predators but the design of this house is such that it is intended for the birds to nest at the back behind the baffle so they would be out of reach anyway.But we all know that the birds never behave how we want them to. Good luck with your bat boxes I think my next project will be a chimney swift tower.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
Fox

I have al ist of projects as long as my arm right now. Unfortunately, the bathouses are the only one directly related to wildlife. I'll have to shoehorn another one in there. Something simple like bee houses or such.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I have al ist of projects as long as my arm right now. Unfortunately, the bathouses are the only one directly related to wildlife. I'll have to shoehorn another one in there. Something simple like bee houses or such.
I know what you mean I say my next project but I mean my next big wildlife project probably won't happen till next year at least. At least i got some new bird houses up this year.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
From what you said in your introduction, it sounds like you have prime bluebird habitat.

I have had bluebirds and tree swallows nest here since putting up boxes three years ago.

I love barn swallows...I'd love to have some nest here, but I've heard that it is hard to start a new colony.
I am not sure how to get a picture on here, but here is a link to a photo I took in July of 2008, the first summer we were here. We do not know for sure, but suspect it was because we did not have the grass mowed. Someone rented our pasture for cattle grazing and didn't bring them until early July. The unmowed grass was probably home to many, many bugs.
Swallows Everywhere

We were not really into birding then, but the vast numbers amazed us. We suspect they were a mix of Barn and Tree Swallows. We have an unused three sided "shed" and after nesting season last year, we went back there and saw three Barn Swallow nests. They always try to build a nest above our front door. Every year, but with our activity in and around the house, they don't succeed. We even try to avoid using that door, but they must hear the racket a family of six makes inside and do not stay. Last year a male House Wren tried making a nest in it after it was abandoned.
Attached Thumbnails
Tree Branch Bluebird House-swalows.jpg  

Last edited by TheLorax; 04-06-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: addition of photo
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Unicellular Fungi

Perhaps these infothreads may be helpful-
Posting Photos from a Hosting Service
www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/tips-new-members/458-posting-photos-forums.html
www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/tips-new-members/1503-tutorial-inserting-attached-photos-into-posts.html
Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
Heron

WOW that photo is AMAZING!!!! I love swallows tree swallows nested in one of my boxes the second year I was here They havn't returned to my yard yet this year but I've seen them around the area.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #27
Salamander

I had clicked on the Image icon and it placed code in the body of the reply and I wasn't sure what I needed to put in there. Thank you for the links, they were easy to understand.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
I am not sure how to get a picture on here, but here is a link to a photo I took in July of 2008, the first summer we were here. We do not know for sure, but suspect it was because we did not have the grass mowed. Someone rented our pasture for cattle grazing and didn't bring them until early July. The unmowed grass was probably home to many, many bugs.
Swallows Everywhere

We were not really into birding then, but the vast numbers amazed us. We suspect they were a mix of Barn and Tree Swallows. We have an unused three sided "shed" and after nesting season last year, we went back there and saw three Barn Swallow nests. They always try to build a nest above our front door. Every year, but with our activity in and around the house, they don't succeed. We even try to avoid using that door, but they must hear the racket a family of six makes inside and do not stay. Last year a male House Wren tried making a nest in it after it was abandoned.
Great photo...I'm sure seeing it in real life was even more amazing. It looks like The Lorax was nice enough to add the photo for you until you get the hang of it. Had I known that (I didn't scroll down far enough) I wouldn't have clicked on the link.

Lucky you have the barn swallows. I hope you enjoy them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barn swallows, bird, bird house, bird photos, bird pictures, birdhouse, birds, bluebird, branch, build, design, habitat, house, nest, nesting, project, swallows, tree