Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Hunting Sandhill cranes?

I'm not against all hunting but geesh...already?

Wis. lawmaker calls for sandhill crane hunt - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
A Wisconsin lawmaker has quietly proposed a bill that would let hunters blast the birds to stop them from chewing up farmers' cornfields. The legislation promises to spark a bitter debate in state that is both defined by its deep-rooted hunting traditions and serves as home to the International Crane Foundation, one of the world's premier crane protection organizations.
Quote:
But as the sandhill population grows, more Wisconsin farmers have been complaining about sandhills eating their corn seeds and fledgling stalks. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, federal wildlife officials issued 55 permits to landowners in southern Wisconsin to kill problem cranes last year, up from 16 in 2008.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

A tad bit premature wouldn't ya say>>>? Besides which.... I don't think the sandhills can hold a candle to what the "resident" geese are trampling and destroying. This photo was taken last month in an industrial park. The geese "migrate" between the corn and soybean fields and this retention pond. They have no predators in urban landscapes.... there's too many of them. They're virtually inpenetrable. The larger the flock.... the lower the chances of a predator making it in and out safely. Even coyotes won't venture in for a juvenile or an injured goose because they'd soon find themselves surrounded by 20.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunting Sandhill cranes?-img_7651.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Yeah, to my dismay Kentucky just initiated a hunting season for the sandhill cranes in 2011, 400 total could be taken. The season ended January 15. In all only 50 were killed. It's beyond me why anyone would want to shoot these birds but I'm not a hunter. I just want to admire these magnificent creatures.

More info on the cranes in Kentucky.
KY Coalition for Sandhill Cranes
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I'm furious that anyone could think it's sport to kill a bird or duck. They can't fight you back!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

More and more it's anything but for sport.... it's a way families barely making ends meet can put food on their table and a way for soup kitchens to keep their doors open serving the increasing number of folk in their lines. It's an affordable way to add protein to the food they're dishing out so they'll take kills from hunters willing to donate. Even with as mild of a winter as we've had this year.... our numbers of folk being served are even higher than they were last winter when it was brutally cold. Shelters are still recovering from last year only this year food prices went up even higher so they're pretty much serving at capacity because their stocks were depleted last year. Not good.... not good at all when budgets are getting cut across the board. For what it's worth... I'm totally not into anyone hunting for sport.

Tags
cranes, hunting, sandhill