Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #51
Alternate POM Judge

Very nice hava. I have never had anything visit the orange that i put out
Old 04-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #52
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

The scouts arrived this morning. Almost a whole week earlier than last year!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #53
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
The scouts arrived this morning. Almost a whole week earlier than last year!
I am so happy for you.

I know how it feels when the bluebirds arrive and begin nesting in our yard--the nestbox had three eggs last time I checked. I expect a fourth today. The tree swallows arrived a few days ago and are actively house hunting.

I would love to have purple martins too--although, I've never seen one in real life (at least not to my knowledge). There is a Deaf couple that lives maybe ten miles or so down the road--we don't know them very well...but I noticed a purple martin house last time we drove down that way. Eventually, we'll run into them, and I'll have to ask if they have a colony.

If so, could we have a chance too?

Only thing is, I find martin houses kind of unsightly (well, unnatural, would be a better word).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #54
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I am so happy for you.

I know how it feels when the bluebirds arrive and begin nesting in our yard--the nestbox had three eggs last time I checked. I expect a fourth today. The tree swallows arrived a few days ago and are actively house hunting.

I would love to have purple martins too--although, I've never seen one in real life (at least not to my knowledge). There is a Deaf couple that lives maybe ten miles or so down the road--we don't know them very well...but I noticed a purple martin house last time we drove down that way. Eventually, we'll run into them, and I'll have to ask if they have a colony.

If so, could we have a chance too?

Only thing is, I find martin houses kind of unsightly (well, unnatural, would be a better word).
When I first moved here in my place in Northern Mass, I put up a purple martin house, as the wildlife refuge nearby has houses that are occupied by them. Within a couple of weeks, I had house sparrows in abundance. Needless to say, that house didn't stay up for long...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #55
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sometimes the I think it is...the starlings try to move in if you put them up too soon. If that happens, there's time to take them down and clear them out as the rest of the martins take a while to arrive.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #56
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
When I first moved here in my place in Northern Mass, I put up a purple martin house, as the wildlife refuge nearby has houses that are occupied by them. Within a couple of weeks, I had house sparrows in abundance. Needless to say, that house didn't stay up for long...
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Sometimes the I think it is...the starlings try to move in if you put them up too soon. If that happens, there's time to take them down and clear them out as the rest of the martins take a while to arrive.
Two reasons that discourage me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, bird, bird house, birds, box, chicks, houses, housing, martin homes, martin houses, martins, nest, nesting box, nesting material, nests, protection, purple, purple martin, purple martins