Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They actually come down to eat the scrambled eggs?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
Alternate POM Judge

He throws the egg in the air and they catch it. They see his truck pull up in the driveway and they fly around waiting for their egg. He feeds them on days when the weather is bad and there are no insects flying.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I found that statement originally pretty hard to believe as I know they eat on the fly....
Ahhhhh now I understand. And it actually works ha? I'll have to give it a try.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I wish there was someone around me who had a colony...and could perhaps give me some pointers. I might try for a colony myself if I thought it was likely and had someone to guide me. At the same time, I have bluebirds and don't know if the purple martins would be too much competition.

I also want to attract barn swallows...but it is my understanding that they stay in the same colony and don't start new ones unless the structure is gone or gets too overcrowded...so they may just be a dream for me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #25
Alternate POM Judge

I would love to have barn swallows too. For years the starlings have chased them away from the areas around the barn where they would nest. This year so far I have succeeded in blocking the starlings from nesting. I put chicken wire in all the spots the starlings like to nest.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I would love to have barn swallows too. For years the starlings have chased them away from the areas around the barn where they would nest. This year so far I have succeeded in blocking the starlings from nesting. I put chicken wire in all the spots the starlings like to nest.
Great job! Keep them out.

I hadn't thought of the starlings being a problem for the barn swallows too...but that makes sense considering their nesting habits. I usually think of them as competing with bluebirds, but the fact is they probably compete with many more native birds than I realize.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #27
Alternate POM Judge

Dap if the bluebirds boxes have the correct size hole starlings can't get in them just house sparrows.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #28
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I found that statement originally pretty hard to believe as I know they eat on the fly....
Ahhhhh now I understand. And it actually works ha? I'll have to give it a try.
After they learn to take tossed eggs and crickets, they learn to feed from platform feeders, given time and availability. "Emergency feeding" is just a way to prevent martins from starving during cold spells. If a cold spell hits after young have hatched, only feed mealworms and crickets. Scrambled eggs give the young diarrhea and they usually die from dehydration.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #29
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I wish there was someone around me who had a colony...and could perhaps give me some pointers. I might try for a colony myself if I thought it was likely and had someone to guide me. At the same time, I have bluebirds and don't know if the purple martins would be too much competition.

I also want to attract barn swallows...but it is my understanding that they stay in the same colony and don't start new ones unless the structure is gone or gets too overcrowded...so they may just be a dream for me.
Strict house sparrow and starling control is mandatory. You live in a good state for them. You need wide open spaces and the closer to water, the better. A good house and pole will set you back about $500.00.

Bluebirds and martins get along fine.

Barn swallows are not colony nesting birds, but will nest in small groups, with nests spaced several feet from another. Single nests are common. They nest under the docks where I fish. That's the key. They want a "roof" over a ledge, or something that they can build their mud nest on. They are a problem in a park building near me. I don't know if they were evicted. The open area between the bathrooms was a perfect place. It had ledges and a roof. The space between the ledge and roof only needs to be about six inches. There is a bunch of information about attracting them. It is a rural bird. You should see them if they are around.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Strict house sparrow and starling control is mandatory. You live in a good state for them. You need wide open spaces and the closer to water, the better. A good house and pole will set you back about $500.00.

Bluebirds and martins get along fine.
Good to know they get along fine...not ready to splurge on a house like that yet...but, maybe someday...especially after I finish my pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Barn swallows are not colony nesting birds, but will nest in small groups, with nests spaced several feet from another. Single nests are common. They nest under the docks where I fish. That's the key. They want a "roof" over a ledge, or something that they can build their mud nest on. They are a problem in a park building near me. I don't know if they were evicted. The open area between the bathrooms was a perfect place. It had ledges and a roof. The space between the ledge and roof only needs to be about six inches. There is a bunch of information about attracting them. It is a rural bird. You should see them if they are around.
I don't remember where I read that they usually nest in the same place each year, and it is hard to attract them to a new space. Glad to hear that it doesn't sound like as much of an issue as I thought.

I know I've seen a solitary nest outside a friends garage once.

I added wooden ledges outside our barn/garage under the eaves. Several years later, and nothing has nested on them yet. I wonder if I should put more up on the other sides (not just the one facing the house).

Tags
babies, bird, bird house, birds, box, chicks, houses, housing, martin homes, martin houses, martins, nest, nesting box, nesting material, nests, protection, purple, purple martin, purple martins