Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Eagles prey upon puppies (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/7994-eagles-prey-upon-puppies.html)

havalotta 12-29-2010 01:23 PM

Eagles prey upon puppies

1 Attachment(s)
I let the new pup out for a break at camp and noticed a gorgeous bald headed eagle perched just above. A magnificent bird. Then it hit me.
That thing (notice how I now called him a thing) was looking at my new pup as PREY!!!!!
LUCKY I went out when I did as it took note of me and quickly took flight.
Attachment 21844
The pup weighs less than three pounds....It's a perfect squirrel size snack!
Now that the eagle knows she's there..It will be posting for her like an owl over a bait pile.:weeping

This leaves me wondering just how bold a hungry bird of prey will be.... After all, Prey is prey.
Will she still be safe if she travels a bit ahead or behind me?

bridget1964 12-29-2010 01:40 PM

Wow! I hope your puppy stays safe, Havalotta. I don't know how bold an eagle will get if it is very hungry.

What kind of puppy did you get? Can you share a photo with us?

Gloria 12-29-2010 01:48 PM

Don't leave it out by itself and the pup will be fine. Even a hungry bird will not get that near you.

havalotta 12-29-2010 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I chose a tiny long haired chihuahua pup only because hubbies been seriously thinking about persuing one of his life long dreams of traveling the country in an R.V. I thought a smaller dog would be best if it ever does happen. She's lost some of that baby poof and is currently putting on her new Winter coat.

Attachment 21845
I named her Pookie because she came with her favorite toy, a teddy bear.
Do you recall the cartoon character, Garfield? His teddy bear was named Pookie

Quote:

Don't leave it out by itself and the pup will be fine.
And here I've worked so hard at getting it to go out on its own so I will not have to brave the cold!

biigblueyes 12-29-2010 02:37 PM

Magnificent bird to That thing in 2 seconds flat. . . .
Good thing for Pookie you came out when you did.

bridget1964 12-29-2010 06:40 PM

How adorable! Good luck with her! Yes, I remember Pookie. Garfield was our float mascot my senior year of high school!!

Runmede 12-29-2010 07:25 PM

When my Rottweiler was only 8 pounds, I always went outside with her. I was afraid of predators. As an adult she was 90 pounds, I didn't worry as much then.

Protect Pets From Birds of Prey - Protect Pets From Owls and Hawks - Keep Pets Safe

havalotta 12-29-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

If raptors are known to roost nearby, avoid walking or exercising pets in that area.
So much for having a little buddy following along by my side while out in the woods and field.....

Sage 01-16-2011 07:38 PM

Oh, Pookie is adorable! With a bald eagle that close, you will have to be vigilant! When food is hard to find (winter) be very careful. Also, when they are nesting and feeding eaglets - they need a lot of food.

The community we're in now has many lakes and alligators. A guard at the gate told Roger two people have died just in this development as a result of alligators. One man had his little dog outside and a gator went after it. The man of course went after the gator, got bit by it and died of infection. Don't know about the dog.

There were Red-tailed hawks nesting in a tree in my son's yard and my son's big black fluffy cat had talon injuries, twice!

Try to stay under trees with Pookie. Be aware. An eagle's talons are huge!

philip 01-16-2011 10:07 PM

Absolutely.

I've heard a number of stories about raptors taking small dogs.