Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default A YouTube on hand feeding hummers

I loved this!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

That was so beautiful, thank you for sharing! I'd love to try that with our ruby throated hummingbirds!

Lib--are you having the snow I am hearing about?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

We might have a shot at this with the hummers that come to our feeders out front but not with the hummers that go to the back feeders. I've got an article somewhere on pecan pieces and chickadees that I'm trying to find but I didn't know if I could do it in your forum so I hope I didn't lose it. Low down is this guy sat around on his deck after he filled his feeders and the birds became accustomed to him and one day he held out his hand with pecan pieces and a chickadee landed and took a piece. The rest is history.... he's had em eating out of his hands ever since.

Ya.... we're getting the snow and what's worse is we're by the lake like havalotta so she's gotta be hammered too. The last time I checked the temps it was like 8 outside so maybe our thermometer's busted since we should be warmer close to the lake. Winds are super high and drifting's bad. We didn't get the 12" they predicted.... thank GOD but.... those winds are making driving tough and the roads aren't cleared yet. One of our shutters blew off the house and our birdfeeders were sideways. It's been a while since I've seen that. I took em down since I was afraid they'd come off the shepherds hooks and break. I'll put em back up when the winds die down. The only birdfeeder that's got any seed left in it is the one on the 6" square pole. That one's sunk in concrete so it's not going anywhere. I've got a squirrel hunkered down in my composter. I go out and dump in it and he flies out. I go back inside and.... he scurries back in the composter. It's sorta funny.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Well, stay inside and keep warm! I am glad you are okay and have had minimal damage. I hope Havalotta is okay, too. Cute about the squirrel! I am glad he has a safe place to stay and probably some good eatings, too!

Last year at this time we were hammered by snow and missed a bunch of school days. I really hope that doesn't happen this year!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

snow

FREEZING our off here. Wind wind windy!
I had to go inside three times to warm up my frozen fingers... Just keeps drifting the door shut. Every time the pup needs to go out for a pee it ends up coming in onto the carpet...The snow that is. Had to go pull hubby and his plow out of the field he shoves the snow into. There's a snow pile out there like mid to end of winter already and it's our FIRST snow fall..It's been snowing for 2-3 days and still coming. Heavy too. Already broke one shovel.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

Default Bad weather

We finished with about 15" of snow & the wind is still howling & blowing it around. Now there are dangerous wind chills forcast for a couple of days & many of the area schools are already closed for Monday. This is a very rural area in the Mississippi River valley so the terrain is difficult for snow removal in time to safely run school buses. Everyone stay safe.
JulieRaeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

You're getting hammered worse than us. 15" is a LOT of snow. The plows came by us once already but with the winds we're back to square one. They shoulda saved our money and waited till the winds died down. You can't win with winds like this... no way.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Expecting minus 2 degrees here...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #9

Wow! You guys are definitely experiencing much worse weather than we are! It is very cold here, but not that cold, Havalotta!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
WG Operations, Facilitator

snow

Amazing hummingbird video Equilibrium! Thanks for posting it here.

We were snowed in this past week-end, and did not get plowed out until Tuesday (today). We got over 2 feet of snow, in addition to blizzard conditions. The snow piles are HUGE.

Now the temps have dropped into the frigid below zero zone. burrrrrr....

Tags
amazing video, bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, birds, feeding, feeding birds, hand, hand feeding, hummer, hummers, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbird photos, hummingbird pictures, hummingbird video, out of hand, video, youtube