Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Yes, good luck. Sorry to hear you don't have anybody around who does rescue. I'll bet if you start asking around (and NOT at the vet's office) you will find people who do it. There are so many problems with becoming a bird rehabber. You have to work with a licensed rehabilitator for a year before you can become licensed. Then you have the Fish and Game people breathing down your neck to make sure you don't do anything 'wrong'. Sigh.

I have a bunch of friends who have been trying to get the funding to open a rehab center for all wild animals, not just birds. It has been such a long, arduous, uphill struggle for them. We have so many birds around here, tons of shore birds, gulls, pelagic birds, not to mention the raptors and song birds. And they are constantly getting injured on the beach (dogs mostly), get hit by cars, run into windows, snatched by cats... I have transported more than I could possibly name: hawks, owls, falcons, loons, osprey, and on and on.

I hope the birdies make it. Please keep us posted.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
WG Writer

Even though one of the birds had been stepped on, there was no one who seemed interested in helping the other two. Well two guys had a discussion that wound up with taking one of the birds from the parking lot and putting him on a ledge on the front of the building about 5 ft from the ground.

I must say the two of them seemed happy when I left them in the woods. There were lots of other birds chirping in there. And the little birds started chirping and jumping around on twigs--thats how I know their legs are o.k. Now if they can just figure out how to eat and fly.

Thanks for your help, Bridget.

There is a game warden serving three counties. He is a little hard to catch up with. Several years ago he rescued a family of white owls from my attic- so think he does know a little about birds.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Fox

While researching the baby robin, I did read that if young birds can hop around well (like yours) then they have a much better chance of survival. I guess some of them need a day or two on the ground to build up their strength or finish growing flight feathers (?) before they take to air.

White owls in your attic?! How very Hogwarts!
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
WG Writer

I have an old house. For several years after I moved in my attic was a natural habitat. There was an attic level magnolia too close to the house with a limb ground some 25 ft horizontally through a hole in the attic. That's where the owls made a home for several generations.

They used to practice flying over my house and outbuildings diving at my dogs --showing clearly who thought they were the superior animals around here. Some were rescued by the game warden when I planned to put in a new roof, but there was still a batch of babies. Most of them died trying to escape the disturbance caused by re-roofing the building. They really do like a lot of peace and quiet -- as do I!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Even though one of the birds had been stepped on, there was no one who seemed interested in helping the other two. Well two guys had a discussion that wound up with taking one of the birds from the parking lot and putting him on a ledge on the front of the building about 5 ft from the ground.

I must say the two of them seemed happy when I left them in the woods. There were lots of other birds chirping in there. And the little birds started chirping and jumping around on twigs--thats how I know their legs are o.k. Now if they can just figure out how to eat and fly.

Thanks for your help, Bridget.

There is a game warden serving three counties. He is a little hard to catch up with. Several years ago he rescued a family of white owls from my attic- so think he does know a little about birds.
You are very welcome, Hazelnut. That is cool about the owls in your attic and I am glad the game warden was able to get them out. Were the parents white as well or just the owlets?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, baby bird, baby birds, bird, bird injury, bird rehabbers, bird rehabilitation, bird rescue, birds, cautionary, fledgling, injured bird, question, questions, rehab, rehabbers, rehabilitate, rehabilitate birds, rehabilitate injured birds, rehabilitation, rescue, rescue baby bird, rescue bird, rescued, rescued bird