Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #31
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Oh no, you do not want to get me started posting cat photos! That way lies madness...Oh, OK. Just one. Technically it may even be on-topic as he was wild born. Doesn't that make him wildlife?
Dan
Oh, Dan! I love him! Can I have him? Please???????????
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #32

And Dan, don't pay any attention to the mean lonediver...just remember,

Old 02-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #33
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
And Dan, don't pay any attention to the mean lonediver...just remember,

I'm not THAT bad , actually I was drooling a bit over your calico . The wife and I were puzzling a bit if we could make such an animal have a proper placement in our household but it would present some challenges . Now IF you were to offer me yours I would work harder at overcoming forseen problems .

(Calicos only , my weakness)
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #34

Ok, lonediver, glad to hear you really don't have it in for my Cookiecat! These show her wild side -

Turkey Vultures-85474986_595c4f04e6_b.jpg Fishing

Turkey Vultures-441221457_01f9b564cb_b.jpg Birding

Turkey Vultures-409308117_303d9f378c_b.jpg Trying to catch a mouse

Turkey Vultures-316556488_319e3c6193_b.jpg or stalking a wild squirrel

For more excitement Go Here
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #35
Grub

dragonfly01 In re past lives, brain tanning & vultures

Yes, I've shrunk iron tires on wooden wheels. Not all blacksmiths did it before rubber tires but I spent a ton of time advising historic restorations or doing them, so....

As for feathers & brain tanning - they have no relationship.

Yes, I still brain tan. My neighbors are used to my place having smells other than flowers. But then, we have bucking bulls & lots of cattle close by so maybe they don't notice 'my' smells. In any case, if they don't like it, that's their problem. I live in the country for a reason & if anyone doesn't like my lifestyle, they are entirely welcome to ignore it & go elsewhere bcs I sure as hey ain't changin' it. I have a right to it, not a privilege. Hechetuye.

In re learning to braintan - if you use sheep hides, you will learn to have a really light touch - they are thin & reeeally easy to cut or put holes in. Parchment is made from sheep hides. Just get a simple book & do it - it isn't rocket science. Or get a cow hide so you can learn with fewer holes. Cow is stiff & not very nice leather compared to wild people's hides, but it's cheap, easy to get & hard to damage unless you go at the job like some kind of rampaging viking.

As for animals having just enough brains to tan their own hides - only if you add liver to the mix & make sure it's the right consistency when you apply it. Otherwise, it takes more like 2 brains / hide at the minimum. No idea where this silly myth came from, but it's persistent..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #36
Fox

Well Sage, there are times I'm inclined to ship him off, like when he wakes me up to say, "Hey, guess which one of us is nocturnal!", or when he lets me know in no uncertain terms that closed doors are not acceptable. But then he comes up and gives me eskimo kisses or strikes a pose like in the picture and I have to say no, even though you said please, I can't let him go.

Pahinh Winh, thanks for the extra info. I now seem to remember some reference to sheep skin being fragile and not for beginners. Is goat skin the same? I know it's supposed to be a very suple leather so I imagine it's fragile as well. I'm glad you mentioned about two brains to one hide. It does seem like every reference I've looked at said as much. I certainly don't lack for brains (some may disagree) as only about every other customer takes the head of the animals they buy. I am absolutely going to do some brain tanning this summer. I've put it off too long.
Dan
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #37
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
He's an indoor cat! No wildlife was harmed in the loving of this kitty!
heeheehee I like that!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #38
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post

Attachment 14098

Attachment 14099

Attachment 14100

Attachment 14101

Wow! These four pix uploaded as quickly and effortlessly as turkey vultures lift off the ground - amazing!
Sage You're a riot, that last ones another winner....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #39
Unicellular Fungi

What will you do with your tanned hides Bulucanagria?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #40
Fox

I have a friend who makes drums and she wants to use some so we'd probably trade hides for drum making lessons. If I become proficient enough, I'd probably sell the ones that I didn't use for various craft projects. However, I'd probably use most of them to teach myself leathercraft. You may have noticed that I tend to want to know how to do everything. As Robert Heinlein said, "Specialization is for insects".
Dan
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird behavior, birds, photo, photographs, photos, turkey, turkey vulture, turkey vulture photos, turkey vultures, vulture, vultures