Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Grub

hammer Modified Kinney Tree Swallow Birdhouse Plans

Hey all-

I was interested in trying something different this winter as a project. Last fall I saw some interesting plans for a tree swallow house at a link posted here on the forum. It was www.sialis.org/kinney.htm

I liked that it was different in many ways from the more traditional houses (see the site). I have tree swallows that are always around in the spring trying to get into wren houses to no avail, so I thought I'd try it.

Once I looked more closely at the plans, I knew that I didn't have the equipment needed to make the pieces the same dimensions listed at the site, so I modified to make things easier.

Here are my plans with step by step instructions for those that like that. Otherwise you could just use the materials list and pictures to do it on your own. Good luck and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Kinney Tree Swallow Birdhouse Plans-modified_kinney_tree_swallow_house_plans-1-.pdf  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Grub

Default Addition-

I forgot directions about putting in the ventilation holes- hopefully you can figue that part out. I put three on each side under the overhang and four on the bottom in each corner.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Extremely useful modifications.

I would be most interested in learning if you are able to attract any tree swallows.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Fox

Thumbs up

Nice job on the 'how to' pdf!

Tree swallows are great birds to have around the garden.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird house, bird house directions, bird house plans, birdhouse, birdhouse directions, birdhouse plans, build birdhouse, directions for birdhouse, kinney, kinney swallow, kinney tree swallow, kinney tree swallow birdhouse plans, kinney tree swallows, make birdhouse, modified, plans, swallow, swallow birdhouse, swallows, tree, tree swallow