Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Salt and our feathered friends

Salt and our feathered friends

Marine birds developed a nasal salt glad to be able to excrete salts. Their terrestrial cousins did not and are incapable of excreting excess salt

http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/helpingfood.htm
Salt: Garden birds are practically unable to metabolise salt, which in high quantity is toxic, affecting the nervous system. Under normal circumstances in the wild, birds are unlikely to take harmful amounts of salt. Never put out salted food onto the bird table, and never add salt to bird baths to keep water ice-free in the winter.

http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/miscellaneous/toxicoses.htmlSigns of a mild salt toxicity (5-10 times requirement) will result in polydipsia, or increased water consumption and subsequent polyuria, or increased fluid (urine) in the droppings. Because excess salt is excreted via the kidneys, a bird with mild to moderate kidney dysfunction may consume toxic doses of salt readily. Deprivation of water alone may lead to salt toxicity because the kidneys are not proficiently perfused or bathed by fluids to remove the sodium and chloride.
Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Salamander

I was going through really old posts (first page here) and found this. I had always wondered about salt. Some on another forum I read have even said to put out salt for the birds. Glad to finally know with certainty it is not good for them.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thank you for adding this. I have, on occasion, put out some peanuts from our personal stash--and even some of my almonds (sea salt variety) to share with the birds and squirrels. I do remember washing off the peanuts before, but this year, I did not. Putting them out in the snow *may* have helped remove some of the salt, but that depends on how long it took the birds to find them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Birds visit the mineral salt block I put out for the horses.

Tags
bird, bird baths, bird health, bird species, birds, excess salt, feathered, friends, metabolize salt, salt, toxic, water for birds