Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

ButterflyLinda 11-21-2011 01:46 PM

Well...to bring a little cheer, I've had two hummingbirds around almost a week now...after none seen for almost a month. Yesterday, I brought the feeder in to clean it and put fresh nectar in. On my way out to where I hang it on a tree, one of the hummingbirds rushed up after spotting the feeder, so I just held out the feeder and wow, it fed like that. I was going to post a pic of a hummer nectaring once the feeder was put up, but can't get the attachment thingy to work...often happens on this site.

TheLorax 11-22-2011 08:51 AM

Your hummingbird pictures would be most appreciated.

May I please ask what the error message was when you tried to attach your picture?

havalotta 11-24-2011 02:20 PM

Don't know if you know it or not but If you're loading any more than one or two photos at a time the error message shows up.
Try loading one-two at a time and see how that works out for you on up to the 5 photo limit.

ButterflyLinda 12-01-2011 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I think it's working now. DH's modem went bad, so the net was coming in very slow with connection problems because it all comes in through his computer...that probably had something to do with the problems I had. It's fixed now. :) This pic was yesterday. I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now. Maybe climate change. Don't know what kind these are...they might move on, or stay...but I'll keep a feeder going as long as they are here.

dapjwy 12-01-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 102515)
...Yesterday, I brought the feeder in to clean it and put fresh nectar in. On my way out to where I hang it on a tree, one of the hummingbirds rushed up after spotting the feeder, so I just held out the feeder and wow, it fed like that.

What a great experience and story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 102856)
I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now. Maybe climate change. Don't know what kind these are...they might move on, or stay...but I'll keep a feeder going as long as they are here.

Cool for those people in Boerne who get to enjoy them while they overwinter! :) Maybe you can too, if not, enjoy them while you have them.

Equilibrium 12-09-2011 01:33 PM

"This pic was yesterday. I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now." Nice photo and taken in December to boot! I'm jealous!!!

havalotta 01-20-2012 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28011
Is this some type of a humming bird or something other?
Attachment 28012
We spotted it while walking about in Arizona.

dapjwy 01-20-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 104243)
Is this some type of a humming bird or something other?

I'm no expert...but it sure looks like a hummer to me.

havalotta 01-20-2012 05:56 PM

A real humdinger ha....Could it be a tree creeper or some sort of an insect eater?

ButterflyLinda 01-20-2012 10:19 PM

Well, Arizona IS known to have winter hummingbirds!