Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knees View Post
Does anybody have a humzinger with 6 ports? Are they worth the money? The wild bird store has them on sale this week for $5 off.
Most of the time they're too hyper/selfish to take advantage of all four holes on one of ours. If you have a spot and time for a second feeder that would probably push more sugar-water.
Ease of filling and cleaning are what I usually go by. Last year I fell for a couple of really nice looking, decorated glass feeders. Turned out they were made with some sort of glue or paint that even I didn't like the smell when it got wet. One of them is hanging in the kitchen as decoration now, the other, which we had filled, had to be thrown away.
Good luck, Wm
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Is this the HumZinger you want-
HumZinger Hummingbird Feeders

I have a friend who has one. It is easy to clean. I don't know that it is any better than the hummingbird feeders that are under $10. The perch that goes all the way around looks convenient for them to take a rest.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #13
Lungwort

Oh, I recognize those.
Our aunt has one of the hanging type and one of the window ones at her mountain house that we use every summer. They are easy to work with, and the birds like them. The window one is a favorite; you can near 'bout touch noses with the hummers.
I think for us, here, they wouldn't be practical; later in the summer we get less than two days out of the 42? 48? ounce model in the pictures I posted above.
I'm afraid they'd run out before I got home from work.
Good luck, Wm
Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #14
WG Staff

Even a 16 oz humzinger would be empty when you got home?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
Lungwort

We start the year using a sixteen ounce bottle; we're still on it now but in a couple of weeks when we start having to fill it every day we'll switch to the bigger ones.
By August we'll have two two-quart feeders up, one on each side of the porch door. One will need filling every day. When we go to the mountains for a couple of weeks we leave the fridge filled with gallon jugs of four-to-one for the neighbor to stop by every day and fill 'em up. The bossy little buggers keep us hopping.
Good luck, Wm
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #16
WG Facilitator

Wow - the view from your porch must be nice! I guess your place is the hummingbird resort.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

How many of them do you have visiting you do you think that you go through that much sugar water?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #18
Lungwort

Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," They move around a lot, and they all either look like this or like that.
But seriously, by the time of the season when this year's crop join their parents at the feeder there will be fifteen to twenty in close pretty much all day.
Good luck, Wm
Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

"Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," I'm soooooooooo jealous.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

Love the hummer photos everyone!

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-hummingbirds-2001.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-hummingbirds-2002.jpg  

Tags
bird, bird feeders, birds, feeder, hummer, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbirds hummers, migration, nectar, photos