Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Grub

Default Taking your hummingbird feeders down

A few years ago my mom left her hummingbird feeder up to late in the season,when we had a cold spell in october i started to find dead hummers on the ground.So i did some research and found out that you are suppose to take them down around the end of september,if you don't the hummers don't migrate,they stay where the food is.I did find one that was on his last leg and was able to get him inside and warmed up.He stayed with me until spring then i released him.He became quite tame and had the run of my green house.
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Eeeesh, I'd be heart broken. We always take ours down a week or so after children go back to school which would be right around the time you mentioned. Really sorry about the hummers. I wouldn't have known to take them down if a friend hadn't said they needed to come down for just the reasons you mentioned. They need to keep migrating.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Heron

the idea that you have to take your feeders down at a certain time of year is a myth, IMO. Bird migrations are controlled by day-length, not availability of food.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek080715.html
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Administrator

I love that web site. I have the utmost respect for that man. He does a great job. I'm still taking my hummingbird feeders down.
Fearless Weeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Heron

I take mine down in early November...I very, very rarely see hummingbirds around here after mid-August. They know when to move on.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
WG Guardian Spirit

My feeders are still up, but the hummers are long gone. I need to bring them in just so they don't crack from freezing and thawing. Could something else have been happening to you hummers coincidentally, Rondo? So nice you were able to save one.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Carbon

We always take ours down before winter then boil them like a baby bottle before we use them again.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Carbon

I still have mine up, just in case there's a stray Roufus hanging around. There have been sightings of Roufus in Kentucky, not too far from me, so I thought I'd try. I never did see any after September last year, though.
IndianaLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

I keep forgetting how long of a state IN is. You must be way down there to be close enough for Roufus sightings.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Carbon

Yeah, it is a long state isn't it? Right now northern Indiana is getting blasted with snow and ice, and it's 64 degrees where I am. Crazy! I am actually right across the river from Louisville, Kentucky.
IndianaLily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeders, hummingbird, taking