Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #501
Salamander

Thank you for the compliments. I've thought a time or two about entering contests, but then I'd probably stress about it and taking photos would probably not be quite as fun.

We have not yet found the Oriole nests this year, so we usually are surprised when the leaves fall off the trees. The last two years they have been so amazingly close to the house.

Yes, we have fed the Orioles, orange halves and then jelly. But they have switched to all bugs now, so we stopped putting out for awhile. I put more oranges out recently and we get butterflies. Got our first Eastern Comma last week, so that was neat. Sometimes the Orioles bring their young to the oranges, but not always. I enjoy more watching the dad take the young to where they can learn to find bugs.

I started wondering about how good is the jelly for them. We've bought the variety without corn syrup for a couple of years now. I did a search and the opinions and info conflicts as to if the jelly is good for them or not. They did eat some cut grapes I put out, but didn't go through that as fast as the jelly. But once they started nesting, it was not needed.

Very pretty Goldfinch, linrose. We have one or two pairs right now. I am looking forward to my Maximilian blooming. I heard they like those. I hope so, I planted a dozen bare roots this spring and they look to be doing well.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #502
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I noticed the first nest mid-winter. I was very lucky to have spotted this year's nest while the we're still tending to the young. It happened to be right at eye level when I was on the top of a slope.

I tried the orange half a few weeks ago...they never seemed interested; now I know why...they had switched to insects. As for the grape jelly...i wondered about that myself. I use jam instead of jelly...and used to buy no sugar added "just fruit" or something, until Smucker's stopped making it....or was that Welch's?

Anyway, I wouldn't want you to stress about the photos. I enter when I think I have something worth sharing...no stress involved...not while the contest runs it's course nor while taking more photos. It is all for fun.

Keep having fun...and keep taking such great photos.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #503
Heron

I had a new one, for me, on the deck each day for a month or two, Audubons Warbler.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-03-audubon-warbler.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #504
Salamander

Ooo, that is great, Kildale.

Our trip leader spotted one last spring and we rarely see that man excited, and boy! was he ever excited. He asked for those with cameras to try getting a shot. My son got the best of the bunch. ABA rules or not, the Audubon's Warbler got a spot on my life list. So I had to change the name of our common Butterbutt to Myrtle Warbler.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unlike our Tree Swallows that are so visible in all their doings, it appears our sneaky Bluebirds have started building a second nest in their box. This picture was taken after at least one of the young left last week. I took this from in the house. Ah HA! I caught you!!
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-poking.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #505
Heron

Still have the male and female northern flickers each day.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-07-female-flicker.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-08-male-flicker.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #506
Alternate POM Judge

wonderful photos Kildale
Old 07-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #507
Heron

The Anna's Hummingbird stays here all year round. The second picture shows some of the weather that it has to live through.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-09-annas-hummingbird-male.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-10-annas-hummingbird.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #508
Grub

I see you're in BC, you must be toward the west coast of BC? I was just in Cranbrook last month on a hummingbird photo workshop, and we had rufous, black-chinned and calliope. Nice variety and so many of them around. We only get the ruby-chinned here in MN where I live.

--Liz in MN
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #509
Heron

Yes. out on Vancouver Island. Here are the male and female red crossbills taken in the garden.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-11-crossbill-male.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-12crossbill-female.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #510
Grub

We get crossbills here in MN too, mostly up in the northern part of the state, but occasionally we'll see them futher south during a good finch irruption. My most interesting recent yard bird was this red-headed woodpecker. One of my favorite birds. All of my woodpeckers (and I get a lot of them) land in this bur oak tree before flying over to the feeders. Unfortunately I had to take the photo through a dirty patio glass door.

--
Liz
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-rhwp.jpg  
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker