Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Carbon

Default Bluebirds

I also have been spotting Eastern Bluebirds sitting on my clothesline! They have been visiting for a couple years now, wonder if they have a nest somewhere on prop0erty. I get so excited to see them. I put out some dried cranberries out, tried to take a pic but Mockingbird shooed him away!
Bamagrammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagrammy View Post
I also have been spotting Eastern Bluebirds sitting on my clothesline! They have been visiting for a couple years now, wonder if they have a nest somewhere on prop0erty. I get so excited to see them. I put out some dried cranberries out, tried to take a pic but Mockingbird shooed him away!
That's wonderful! Seeing them, especially after a long winter, makes me better understand the phrase "bluebird of happiness ".

They are cavity nesters...do you have a nestbox or natural cavities they could use to raise their young?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We have 5 young nestlings in one box out of the four to choose from. I'm happy to see them year after year. This morning I saw what I thought was a bluebird but it happened to be an indigo bunting. No mistaking those bright blue birds.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wow Would I ever love to see one of those! Are they this far north?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #15

Day old baby bluebirds, I count 5 from today. Another nest box has what I think are 5 house wrens eggs and one larger paler egg. Note the bluebird feather lining. Cowbird maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds!!!-baby-bluebirds.jpg   Bluebirds!!!-wren-eggs.jpg  
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #16
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Day old baby bluebirds, I count 5 from today. Another nest box has what I think are 5 house wrens eggs and one larger paler egg. Note the bluebird feather lining. Cowbird maybe?
I know th ehouse wrens that nest here on my property are particularly pugnacious, and drive out and possibly kill nesting chicadees in other nest boxes. Do you think there is a chance they killed a bluebird and used its feathers to line their nest??

I'd guess cowbird in that second pic...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #17

I worried about that too but I did see the female bluebird atop the nest box yesterday. If the male was killed Ive seen broods raised by the momma alone.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #18

I think house wrens killed my nestling bluebirds this year...and one of the tree swallows nests. A second pair seems to have succeeded in raising their young. It is very disheartening, and I wanted to start a post about it for a while...but I kept putting it off.

I fear that I won't see the bluebirds return. For every year since I put a boxout the first spring, I have had them best here. Often two or three broods per year.

After adding a new nestbox to the far edge of our property, I am now considering removing all except the original four that used to host one bluebird pair and two to three pairs of tree swallows...with a chickadee pair once or twice. Hopefully that will get me back to more successful broods. I hope that the two house wren pairs that succeeded in the other boxes don't come back and cause problems again...but, with success, I expect them to return--hopefully removing their boxes will be enough to deter them.

Sigh.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #19

Oh no dap, that's terrible. I'll be watching both nests carefully now. The strange egg in the wren nest actually turned out to be a wren egg after all. I think it was the angle of the camera and the flash. So far the 5 bluebird nestlings are OK and are still being fed. I'll keep an eye on the wrens. I haven't had them both nesting at the same time before. I usually keep an eye on the boxes earlier but it has been such a crazy busy summer. Usually when I see sticks in a nest box I remove them before any eggs are laid but I was too late this year. We've had chickadees in that box too from time to time. Two boxes that were used last year are empty.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Oh no dap, that's terrible. I'll be watching both nests carefully now. The strange egg in the wren nest actually turned out to be a wren egg after all. I think it was the angle of the camera and the flash. So far the 5 bluebird nestlings are OK and are still being fed. I'll keep an eye on the wrens. I haven't had them both nesting at the same time before. I usually keep an eye on the boxes earlier but it has been such a crazy busy summer. Usually when I see sticks in a nest box I remove them before any eggs are laid but I was too late this year. We've had chickadees in that box too from time to time. Two boxes that were used last year are empty.

Linrose,

I hope yours will be fine. I am not 100% sure that the house wrens are to blame...but I do strongly suspect them.

Are the nestboxes the bluebirds are using far away from shrubs and brushy areas? I think my land may be changing to habitat more favorable to house wrens. I will have to fight succession in the one section of my field where locust trees are starting to try to take hold.

Keep us posted.

Tags
bluebirds