Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I would love to see them on my property, too. I have thought a few times that I have heard one, but have never found it when I went out to look so it may be wishful thinking. A lot of people hunt around here, including turkeys, so if they are here, they are right to be skittish (good old NC, home of the NRA.)
If you think you heard them, they were likely nearby. Maybe it doesn't count for you unless you see them, but it would be nice to know that you may have attracted them after all.

People hunt around here, too. I often wonder if the deer know that this is a safe place...over the years I've encountered them...including a fawn, and I never hurt them, so I like to think they may view our property as a safe haven. There is enough fresh deer scat around to make me think they are at least coming through here, if not bedding down.

Perhaps turkeys and other animals will begin to feel safer in my habitat--or is that just wishful thinking? Even if they do sense safety here, it is not enough to support them...surely they need larger spaces.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Fox

pawprint these might count...

...but it was difficult to get close enough to make a nice picture. Approximately 30 of these critterz cruising thru a few days ago.Turkeys are birds too.-100_2548-2-.jpg

wildwatcher
Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
...but it was difficult to get close enough to make a nice picture. Approximately 30 of these critterz cruising thru a few days ago.Attachment 43595

wildwatcher
I'd love to see turkeys coming through our property.

I did see the baby turkeys this spring and a lone turkey a few years ago...but I want more encounters.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
Fox

Well yanno dapjwy, you can put out some bait, generally in the same place. Chopped corn & sunflower seeds works wonders at calling in turkeys, deer, coons, crows and others. I use to put out food for them thru the winter months, but the price of feed got so high that I've skipped it the last few years. With the bait, I use to see stuff up here all the time, otherwise, there really isn't a lot for the critterz to eat, except bugs of course.

Eventually if you feed them, they will get in a kind of routine to stop by your place. I think a bucket of water helps too.

ww
Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Alternate POM Judge

I read that the state of Maryland worked on increasing the turkey population and that we have them in every county in the state now. I have only seen them twice in 16 years. That's why we all need to have adjoining properties so we have a large sanctuary for wildlife. They used to talk about wildlife corridors where everyone had wildlife habitat on their property to help with the loss of habitat from developments.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I would love to see them on my property, too. I have thought a few times that I have heard one, but have never found it when I went out to look so it may be wishful thinking. A lot of people hunt around here, including turkeys, so if they are here, they are right to be skittish (good old NC, home of the NRA.)
They are SO CLOSE to our neighborhood...but not here. Yet. My son saw one in the back yard one time, early in the spring. But it has not returned. Maybe one day they'll find me
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Well yanno dapjwy, you can put out some bait, generally in the same place. Chopped corn & sunflower seeds works wonders at calling in turkeys, deer, coons, crows and others. I use to put out food for them thru the winter months, but the price of feed got so high that I've skipped it the last few years. With the bait, I use to see stuff up here all the time, otherwise, there really isn't a lot for the critterz to eat, except bugs of course.

Eventually if you feed them, they will get in a kind of routine to stop by your place. I think a bucket of water helps too.

ww
Thanks for the suggestions, ww.

I actually do feed the birds...mostly only sunflower seeds...but this year, I am putting out some corn--we bought popcorn in bulk, only to find that we don't like this brand. I figure the birds can have it--it's for the birds.

Now you have me thinking that I should be putting some seeds out away from the house...near where I've seen the lone turkey and the babies (and heard their mother). I saw both in the same place...likely where they travel through our property along their way elsewhere. Perhaps putting seed out there would do the trick.

I also have water--my small pond...but it is kind of close to the house too. The larger pond I've started to dig will be down the hill from this, but still not too, too far from the house. I do think it will be more of a wildlife magnet than the smaller one.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I read that the state of Maryland worked on increasing the turkey population and that we have them in every county in the state now. I have only seen them twice in 16 years. That's why we all need to have adjoining properties so we have a large sanctuary for wildlife. They used to talk about wildlife corridors where everyone had wildlife habitat on their property to help with the loss of habitat from developments.
Smile. If we can't all have adjoining properties, perhaps more and more of the general public join us, many of our current (or future neighbors will join us.

I agree that having wildlife corridors is vital...and I like the idea that our own adjoining properties can become wildlife corridors.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #19

I hope you do get your turkeys, katjh.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, ww.

I actually do feed the birds...mostly only sunflower seeds...but this year, I am putting out some corn--we bought popcorn in bulk, only to find that we don't like this brand. I figure the birds can have it--it's for the birds.

Now you have me thinking that I should be putting some seeds out away from the house...near where I've seen the lone turkey and the babies (and heard their mother). I saw both in the same place...likely where they travel through our property along their way elsewhere. Perhaps putting seed out there would do the trick.

I also have water--my small pond...but it is kind of close to the house too. The larger pond I've started to dig will be down the hill from this, but still not too, too far from the house. I do think it will be more of a wildlife magnet than the smaller one.

I'll keep you posted.
I still feed birds, but I'm a bit careful about placing seed at ground level. We started seeing so many more mice, red squirrels and chipmunks. They all want a warm place for the winter...and I don't want my attic or basement to be it. So, I try to keep see UP where only the birds can reach it. The small amount that gets spilled gets cleaned up pretty quickly by the juncos, mourning doves and, yes, the rodents. I used to put food on ground feeders on purpose but have decided it just invites too many rodents.

Tags
birds, turkeys