Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 AM   #1
Co-Administrator

chickadee The Great Backyard Bird Count February 13-16, 2015

Get Started

Join Us for the Next Count, February 13-16, 2015

It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!

Quote:
1. Register for the count or use your existing login name and password. If you have never participated in the Great Backyard Bird Count or any other Cornell Lab citizen-science project, you’ll need to create a new account. If you already created an account for last year’s GBBC, or if you’re already registered with eBird or another Cornell Lab citizen-science project, you can use your existing login information.

2. Count birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the GBBC. You can count for longer than that if you wish! Count birds in as many places and on as many days as you like ...

3. Enter your results on the GBBC website by clicking “Submit Observations” on the home page. Or download ...
Get Started | GBBC

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Hey thanks, Cirsium. I was upset that I forgot about and missed the bird count at Christmas time. (That is when it normally is, isn't it? Or do I have that wrong, too?)

I'm glad I can still get a count in. :-)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

~sigh~ Even with the recent reminder, I still forgot. Just thought of it now--long after dark.

Luckily, I still have a day or two to go.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've done three 15 minute sessions so far, it's kinda boring but I did get to see a pileated woodpecker yesterday which was cool. I'm sure they are around a lot more than I think but I just don't take the time to notice. We also had a big flock of robins, 21 of them, that come every day and then there is the one lone mockingbird that comes to drink.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Our high temp today is MINUS TWO! With wind chill factor, death in two minutes or MINUS 23, whichever comes first. Since we cannot have feeders anymore, we rarely have visitors.

Good luck All!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #6

Yikes Sage! That's bitter cold. I watch the weather up there as it used to be my neck of the woods. We just got 9 inches of snow today, crazy for here in Kentucky, and a low of minus 5 is predicted for Wednesday night.

Even without feeders couldn't you strew some seed on the ground? I did that today on top of the snow because with the snow I couldn't get to the feeders. Whenever it snows here our birds come in droves to the feeders. The only open ground was under the hammock where the ground was packed with birds. I was heartened to see lots of birds in the prairie bed eating seeds.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

We have 9 inches of snow on the ground now and our only snow shovel just broke! At least Jason got most of the driveway cleared so we can get the cars out if we need to but we haven't gone out in two days. Our little road is private so no plows come through and the only resident of the five houses on our dead end street that has a tractor is away in Florida right now. Fortunately we have a 4 wheel drive truck that can make it down the hill (and hopefully back up!) if we need to get to town. We're just hunkering down for the duration. It's bitter cold though but the sun came out today which helped a lot.

I submitted my sightings to the GBBC, I had to input my latitude and longitude, luckily I had it written down in my garden journal so it was pretty easy to locate. I had forgotten how I actually found it in the first place, maybe some of you can suggest an easy way to find yours. I was happy with my flock of robins, my pileated woodpecker and the large number of goldfinches I found in 15 minutes. If the count had happened after the snowstorm the numbers and species would have multiplied by 10 I'm sure. Sparrows, tohees, doves, Carolina wrens, juncos, flickers, all were absent on my count until the snow started. Oh and the starlings decided they liked to stay around and sample the suet and feeders too much to my dismay.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Not much here but a handful of chickadees, a pair of blue jays and some kind of hawk flying by at the camp...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

Our pileated was back today, at the suet feeder right outside my window! He had another with him. He flew off to the nearby dogwood and I snapped some shots through the window and screen which are blurry but he was so magnificent.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Backyard Bird Count February 13-16, 2015-pilieated-woodpecker.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh now nice. WHAT a crest!
Reminds me of the red hair you sometimes see on people.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1316, 2015, backyard, bird, count, february, great