Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Heron

Default Don't Forget the GBBC Feb 14-17 2014

It's coming up don't forget!

GBBC | Great Backyard Bird Count
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thanks for the reminder, recurve. I've been thinking about it since New Years (for some reason, I thought that was when it was (I guess I remember it being a long weekend). I'd been meaning to post a reminder too...but haven't gotten around to it.
I'm glad you did.

Now, we just have to keep the thread active so I remember come next weekend.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

Default It Starts Tomorrow, Folks!

Bumping this up as friendly reminder.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Heron

Just finished my first count of the weekend!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Just finished my first count of the weekend!
I'm just about to start mine.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Heron

It's been a tough winter for the birds but I can see that providing suet, black oil sunflower seeds and some crabapple trees are very important.

I took a long walk with the idea of looking for and listening for birds and saw a male and female cardinal and a robin in said crab tree.

Not bad considering it was along a busy street: Boy the Urban Birds have it tough.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
It's been a tough winter for the birds but I can see that providing suet, black oil sunflower seeds and some crabapple trees are very important.

I took a long walk with the idea of looking for and listening for birds and saw a male and female cardinal and a robin in said crab tree.

Not bad considering it was along a busy street: Boy the Urban Birds have it tough.
You make me want to plant more and more berry producers--something I've been wanting to do anyway, but it seems even more important after reading your post. I have already planted some, but most are not mature enough to bloom and set fruit. I have one crabapple on the property line--Malus coronata, I think. I want more.

I'm growing Nyssa sylvatica, but they've yet to bloom...and, I think they produce in the fall. I need to add a lot of things that hold their fruit into the winter.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Heron

I'm working on my list now since I planted some dogwood bushes, spicebushes, and hazelnuts last year.

Also last year I planted some Tulip Trees and Hawthornes

I have some space for some Indian Currant, Arrow wood Viburnum, Service Berry and Virginia Creeper.

The biggest job will be the trellis for the Virginia Creeper and since I'll order all my Natives from Cold stream planting them in one day

I've seen people with Eyes bigger than their shovels and they struggle to get everything planted or just give up and let the leaves drop.

I planted an Arrow wood Viburnum too close to the stop sign and will have to transplant that Again

Better to go carefully on the placement of the Shrubs and trees because it seems transplanting them sets them back enough that they don't flower or fruit.

Going by some of the birds you've posted Dapjwy your doing a good job on attracting them
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Heron

This pretty fellow stopped by today to get counted!
Don't Forget the GBBC Feb 14-17 2014-p1040650.jpg

Don't Forget the GBBC Feb 14-17 2014-p1040652.jpg
Red shouldered hawk
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
This pretty fellow stopped by today to get counted!
Attachment 40175

Attachment 40176
Red shouldered hawk
Cool. You got a hawk too. It is nice to have more variety...I was glad to add mine to the list. I hope to attract more and more species with my native plantings (especially things that hold fruit into the winter/spring)...and add more to my list each year.

Tags
1417, 2014, feb, forget, gbbc