Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #61
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Yes...LOTS
The mountain ash that feeds the robins, A cherry tree along with two cherry bushes feed both the cedar waxwings and Robins, Raspberries, Strawberries, cranberries, Mulberries provide even MORE food for the gluttonous robins and rabbits, not actually berries but, the sunflowers that feed the blue jays and finches, and apples.... for the Asian lady bugs. As you can see, they're all taking turns feasting and harvesting from what we had originally intended upon feasting upon ourselves!

I also have a TON of florals (15 beds worth) which produce nectar, greens and seeds for the multitudes of local insects which, In turn, if you follow on up the food chain, provide nourishment for the (Just to name a few) fish, frogs, mice, moles, song birds, birds of prey, deer, fox and coyote!

I shouldn't complain about missing out on seeing or hearing a few choice bird species.
We're very fortunate we're able to view such various forms of life from within our home near the edge of the city limits.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #62
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Second one down: eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results Ooooo nice. I haven't ever heard any of those around here.
We used to have a mockingbird hang out in our yard (where I grew up). It would often sit on the outdoor TV antenna singing its entire repertoire.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
My neighbor dumped his leaves on top of my vegetable garden this fall. Today I looked out and saw a flock of robins digging in it looking for worms. One day I had a pair of bluebirds picking through it looking for insects.
I put a layer of leaves over my vegetable garden, but I haven't seen "my" bluebirds or robins pick through it. . ...yet.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #64
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I think this is a brown thrasher with the yellow eyes, long downturned bill and streaked breast. We are at the very tippy top of their winter range, I'm surprised to see them here now. We did have them this fall, enjoying the beautyberry fruit. This one looks sad and freezing! It's 16 degrees out there now. Sorry for the bad photos, they were taken through the dirty kitchen window and screen - I never did get around to washing the windows this past fall.
If your at the tippy top of their winter range this guy must have taken a wrong turn at Cincinnati!
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040608.jpg
I was surprised to look out the window and see him this afternoon.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I think this is a brown thrasher...Sorry for the bad photos... I never did get around to washing the windows this past fall.
Nice looking bird there, linrose. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't always get around to washing windows. I think the photo is actually pretty good. I've noticed, when taking pictures through windows, using a program that allows you to control the lighting "fill light", "add highlights", and "add shadows" (afterwards) can really improve a photo taken that way. On occasion, I may brighten one up (and then add shadows), but mostly just adding hint of shadow makes the photo look a lot better. Yours already looks pretty good--having a beautiful bird as the subject helps, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
If your at the tippy top of their winter range this guy must have taken a wrong turn at Cincinnati!
~smile~ I like your sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Attachment 40103I was surprised to look out the window and see him this afternoon.
You both are lucky to have brown thrashers...I'm ready for some here.

(Strange, after saying I've never seen one--on your other post--I'm starting to think I did have one picking through the leaves on spring...not sure. Memory is a strange thing.)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #66
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I've seen one at the botanical,garden but never in my yard.

My neighbor found a dead ruby crowned kinglet by the side of the road, so I think I am right about seeing them at my feeder. They are not supposed to be here for the winter, and usually are not.

I have been having mixed feelings about all the bird seed I have been putting out. Most of the seed heads of have left on my various perennials have been barely touched. Would th birds be healthier eating the naturally occurring seds than gorging on the fancier stuff? Would my plants benefit from having their seeds scattered? I really enjoy watching the birds at my feeders, but I think I am creating a bunch of junkies.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #67
Alternate POM Judge

Turttle, I don't think it hurts anything to feed the birds. I really enjoy feeding them too. I just ordered a covered platform feeder and another cover. That will keep the seed from being covered with snow or getting wet.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #68
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Nice find on the brown thrasher recurve! I've never seen them in winter here until this winter and only rarely in summer when I've seen them enjoy the beautyberry fruit. It's strange they are here in one of the coldest and snowiest winters in decades. I wonder what the ornithologists will have to say on the subject?

About feeding birds I think it's OK and really helps with maintaining the larger populations that have flourished with our recent mild winters and plentiful food. I see birds feasting on the grass seed, wildflower seeds and shrub and tree fruits in the wild and in the gardens as well as dining at the feeders so I don't worry about "spoiling" them with sunflower and thistle seed. I do worry about water so I try to keep a dish out and melt the ice several times a day with hot water since I don't have an electric defroster. It has been snowing off and on for weeks now but there is little on the ground and I'm concerned for the birds' water intake.

EllenW - I've wanted a platform feeder but my squirrel population would take care of the seed in no time. The cardinals really prefer a platform feeder but they have to make do with the tube feeders I've given them. On really cold snowy days I'll throw out some extra onto a bench on the deck and the garden below. I know the ground feeders like the sparrows and towhees appreciate that too. When I fill the feeders I accidentaly on purpose spill some, oops!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #69
Alternate POM Judge

Linrose, I put safflower seed in the platform feeders. The squirrels don't like it. Have you tried putting baffles around your feeders?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #70
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1240810-version-2.jpg Gull trying to eat a fish
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today