Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #101
Heron

LIFE BIRD ALERT!!!!
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040688.jpg
Red-necked Grebe!!

What a day glad I checked the ABA listserv before I left the house.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #102
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
LIFE BIRD ALERT!!!!
Attachment 40241
Red-necked Grebe!!
Congratulations, recurve!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #103

Great photos, linrose! I love the tree of bird pictures--especially the first one (perhaps it is POM worthy).

You got more snow than we did! We were supposed to get anywhere from 6-15 inches--but we got NONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Even the blue jays seemed interested and they usually don't come to the feeders but stay tucked away in the woods.
interesting, I have blue jays at the feeder all the time.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #104

Quote:
More birds!
I love the towhee--I've not seen one in a LONG time. I'm still waiting for the red-wings to return here.

Your blue jay photo is gorgeous! It should definitely be entered in the Photo of the Month contest.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #105

Quote:
Blackbirds of all sorts must be moving through here now...I think they congregate together in big blackbird groups.
I think you are right. I have photos from last spring (or late winter) with a mix of blackbirds too--at least grackles and red-wing blackbirds. I'm looking forward to seeing them again--even if they do go through the seed like they do.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #106
Alternate POM Judge

I had a ruby crowned kinglet eating suet this morning.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #107
WG Fundraising Coordinator

After seeing all the red-winged blackbirds I was awakened by their song yesterday morning, it's unmistakable and very nostalgic to me. Anyone who has had them live nearby will know that call.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #108

Quote:
After seeing all the red-winged blackbirds I was awakened by their song yesterday morning, it's unmistakable and very nostalgic to me. Anyone who has had them live nearby will know that call.
I'm really happy for you. I'm glad they are sticking around for a while for you.

I would know it if I heard it...all I can come up with in my head right now is that it is some kind of gurgling sound, something reminiscent of water.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #109
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
The birds have flocked to the feeders today, they must have pretty much picked the seeds and berries clean from the plants.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
I have NEVER seen such bird quantity in all my LIFE! They must cost a sure fortune in food!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #110
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We get 40 lb. bags of black oil sunflower seed for about $25 from Tractor Supply. During this past cold snap and ice/snowstorm the birds really went to town and we had to replenish the feeders daily along with strewing some on the ground. Usually that is not the case. All the blackbirds have moved on and we only have our usual visitors, and not many at that. They only seem to come around the feeders in extreme weather.

The sound of the red-winged blackbird is ingrained in my mind. We lived near a low-lying park with a meandering river running through it and my childhood was filled with that sound. Do you know how smells, tastes, sounds imprint on your brain when you are young? Well that is one of them.

That reminds me of the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig (do some of you know it?) when the main character and his 11 year old son are traveling together and they see a red-winged blackbird. The father is excited but the son is unimpressed. That says alot about an 11 year old but the impression is there for when he becomes an adult. I don't know why but that particular passage is meaningful to me.

I never bothered to care about red-winged blackbirds because they were so common in my childhood. Now they are rare here at least, and I love to hear them call. I suppose it's all about your perspective.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today