Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Alternate POM Judge

Default today i saw

A Phoebe and a black and white warbler. The black and white was a first for me!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
A Phoebe and a black and white warbler. The black and white was a first for me!
Congrats!

I'm not even familiar with a black and white warbler (or most other warblers for that matter)...but we did have a phoebe nest here a few years ago--that is the only reason I know what it is (I had to look it up).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Congrats!

I'm not even familiar with a black and white warbler (or most other warblers for that matter)...but we did have a phoebe nest here a few years ago--that is the only reason I know what it is (I had to look it up).
Thanks I'm an avid birder. This is migration time so I hope to see lots of different birds. There is a hawk watch going on all fall I hope to get to. Also the local bird club is having a gathering at Conowingo dam in Maryland in November. It Is a hydroelectric dam and the fish there attract nesting bald eagles. We usually see a lot of them as well as other birds.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

I just heard something on NPR this morning about the successful comeback of bald eagles. I know how thrilled I was to see my first just miles from our home. I've seen them a few more times since...and once I saw one fly through the edge of our yard.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I just heard something on NPR this morning about the successful comeback of bald eagles. I know how thrilled I was to see my first just miles from our home. I've seen them a few more times since...and once I saw one fly through the edge of our yard.
Ddt significantly decreased numbers of bald eagles. When Ddt was banned bald eagles made a comeback. I'm glad you see them around your home. They are so magnificent.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I enjoy the forever twitter of the phoebes...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Heron

So many warblers this morning in my backyard! We had a cold front come through yesterday that helped a lot of migratory birds come down from the north across Lake Eire. My fall warbler ID skills are average at best but so far this morning I've seen some yellow- rumped warblers, possibly a Tennessee and a Canada warbler
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Heron

Ohh Ohhhhhh Add Northern Parula to that list!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
Ddt significantly decreased numbers of bald eagles. When Ddt was banned bald eagles made a comeback. I'm glad you see them around your home. They are so magnificent.
Yes, they are one of the best success stories--or so I've read.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I enjoy the forever twitter of the phoebes...
I wish they'd come back to nest here...but after the first year, I did a little house repair which ended up removing the little ledge that they used to build the nest. (I put up other ledges elsewhere, but no luck.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
So many warblers this morning in my backyard! We had a cold front come through yesterday that helped a lot of migratory birds come down from the north across Lake Eire. My fall warbler ID skills are average at best but so far this morning I've seen some yellow- rumped warblers, possibly a Tennessee and a Canada warbler
Congrats on your warblers. I'm guessing they'll be coming through here too (if not already, before too long). I don't think I have any ID skills...but I do have a bird book if I see something I don't recognize.

Tags
today