Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

...and another that has me convinced. This one's coloring matches the bird in my photo much more than most of the photos that seem to have much higher contrast in the markings. http://www.bird-friends.com/BirdPage...wned%20Kinglet

I hope to see it again and confirm it...and perhaps have them nest in my yard--that would be a treat. According to the map, they seem to be a year-round resident here. Thanks again.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 11-24-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: adding link
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I only scoped out kinglets since I had a ruby crowned kinglet female in my trees a month ago with nary a trace of a ruby crown.

The iPro app works well in its search functions. I know it is available for iPad/iPhone/iTouch, but have no idea if it is available on other platforms. If you just get your own region, it isn't too pricey.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
Grub

Dap, I'm 100% sure it's a golden-crowned kinglet. The beak shape rules out any type of sparrow, and the striped face points towards that ID. Also, the black "cap" surrounding a yellow spot on top of the head is distinctive of GC Kinglets.
The males and females look exactly the same except for an even tinier stripe of orange (almost neon orange) inside the yellow, inside the black on top of the head, which is almost NEVER visible in the field, and clearly not visible in your picture.

Here's a picture of GC Kinglet that was brought into the pet store I work at after probably hitting a window. He's stunned, but clearly you can see his black/yellow/flame orange crown. I had pushed his crown feathers around to get this picture for just such an occasion where I can use it for education.

Bird ID-gckinglet.jpg
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
The iPro app works well in its search functions. I know it is available for iPad/iPhone/iTouch, but have no idea if it is available on other platforms. If you just get your own region, it isn't too pricey.
I'll have to look into it...when you first mentioned it, I thought it was a website...until I went to search for it. I'd rather it be restricted to my region. Sounds good. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
Dap, I'm 100% sure it's a golden-crowned kinglet. The beak shape rules out any type of sparrow, and the striped face points towards that ID. Also, the black "cap" surrounding a yellow spot on top of the head is distinctive of GC Kinglets.
The males and females look exactly the same except for an even tinier stripe of orange (almost neon orange) inside the yellow, inside the black on top of the head, which is almost NEVER visible in the field, and clearly not visible in your picture.

Here's a picture of GC Kinglet that was brought into the pet store I work at after probably hitting a window. He's stunned, but clearly you can see his black/yellow/flame orange crown. I had pushed his crown feathers around to get this picture for just such an occasion where I can use it for education.

Attachment 34106
Thanks, disuhan.

Looks like I needed to be educated.

One thing I learned on my own was not to rely on my memory, but view the photo while doing my search. Had I got more than one clear picture it might have been easier to realize the markings were there...just by memory, I couldn't imagine missing such distinct markings. So, next time I have to decide how to split my time between observing and trying to capture some photos.

I'm so thrilled to know what it is and that it is a new species to me...and that it is attracted to our yard.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird