Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I am voting for a golden crowned kinglet, having looked through my iBird guide today for birds of that size in Pennsylvania in November. You can see a little yellow on its head. See what you think.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I found myself looking at warblers and vireos--based on the shape of the beak, I guess. Still nothing conclusive.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I am voting for a golden crowned kinglet, having looked through my iBird guide today for birds of that size in Pennsylvania in November. You can see a little yellow on its head. See what you think.
I see you noticed the little colored patch on its head too. The golden crowned kinglet's markings look too distinct to me--then again, I'm trying to keep in mind it could be a female with different colors/markings.

I found something that it *sort of* looks like--at least in *one or two* photos--but most of the photos look different...and I wonder if I'm stretching if for the range. Here is what I was looking at so far: http://leesbirdblog.files.wordpress....by-bob-nan.jpg an orange crowned warbler--but I don't think I'm right. Most sites say that orange crown is not often seen.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #14

...or: Audubon Guides: Philadelphia Vireo Philadelphia vireo?

None of them look quite right. Maybe I will be lucky enough to get another sighting and a better picture bofore too long.

In the mean time, I should try the iBird guide that turttle suggested...I think it is cool that I can add things like "Pennsylvania in November".
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

"Thanks for trying, Lib, but I've got catbirds and would recognize one. The picture doesn't show the bird very well but it seems to have a lighter colored breast, darker back, and possibly a white streak across the eye, and maybe a colored patch on its head." Rats!!! I thought I actually scored on an ID.... I caught the patch on top of its head. I didn't catch a lighter colored breast or a darker back though.... I did catch the little white streak but thought that was just the sun not a marking above the eye!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"Thanks for trying, Lib, but I've got catbirds and would recognize one. The picture doesn't show the bird very well but it seems to have a lighter colored breast, darker back, and possibly a white streak across the eye, and maybe a colored patch on its head." Rats!!! I thought I actually scored on an ID.... I caught the patch on top of its head. I didn't catch a lighter colored breast or a darker back though.... I did catch the little white streak but thought that was just the sun not a marking above the eye!!!
That's okay...as far as I know, no one has made the right ID yet--including my guesses (graspings at straws).
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

female something is a likely guess, with less distinct markings.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Fox

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm with turttle.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
I'm with turttle.
Okay...I'll give the golden crowned kinglet another look.

Quote:
female something is a likely guess, with less distinct markings.
Yeah, I was thinking it was possibly a female something or other, but then with the spot of color on the head, I started thinking it was likely a male--but, obviously, I have no idea!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #20

Hmmm... I did an image search and found this shot that does make me think that is exactly what it could be: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/P...llthompson.jpg

Seeing other shots with a full view of all of the markings seemed to have thrown me--it is entirely possible those markings are nearly hidden in the shot I got.

Memory of the event was spotty to begin with since it was mostly in the shadows of the undergrowth and I was looking through the camera trying to get it to focus. I did, however, say something in an earlier post that I thought it could've been a yellow crowned sparrow--so, apparently I did see a flash of yellow. In the picture I keep seeing a rufus colored spot on his head. Anyway, I feel more confident in the ID now...thanks to all who responded...thanks to benj1 for getting me to give it a second look, and thanks to turttle for the likely correct ID in the first place. Thanks.

Tags
bird