Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Barn Swallow Babies

After five years of trying, a pair of Barn Swallows has succeeded in hatching eggs on our front porch. We've avoided the front yard like the plague and this has done wonders for the little birds. Too bad the parents were not very territorial when those Butcher's Choice meat salesmen came by. Thankfully, the Swallow came back shortly after the intruders left.

Here's a couple pictures. One as they were nest building and the second one is when this one was off-duty from nest sitting. They took turns every few minutes and one really liked this spot right outside the window. I hope to get pictures before they fledge, but if not, that's ok, I want to minimize stress on the birds.

The pasture is still unmowed, so we have Bobolinks, Meadowlarks, Red-wingeds and whatever else in there. That's been a real joy to hear their songs every morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Barn Swallow Babies-bswallow.jpg   Barn Swallow Babies-faithful.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Love that 2nd photo!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Salamander

Thank you, Equilibrium. This is my current favorite picture. And amazingly, I took it. Usually it's one of the children who gets the best shots.

The nest is in such a location we can see the activity from inside without disturbing the birds. I was thrilled to see a little head pop up this afternoon. The photo is not great, but at least this time it focused on the nest. The camera just doesn't know what to do with the glass and bird tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Barn Swallow Babies-baby.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very cute! You can beat watching those swallows for a great experience!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations, Birding Bunch!

Barn swallows have a special place in my heart. I'm not quite sure why. I just know that I'd love to attract them.

I even put up little shelves under the eaves of our barn/garage a couple of years ago. So far, no luck. Actually the neighbors have an unused barn that has open access...I'd expect them to use that first, but have never noticed them there...not that I can exactly see the barn easily.

Anyway, thank you for posting. If you get more photos, great, if not we understand. Keep us posted.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
The nest is in such a location we can see the activity from inside without disturbing the birds.
Even better!

Lucky you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Salamander

This is one of my favorite pictures so far. The Swallows were nine days old at that time. They are now at twelve days.

Barn Swallow Babies-babybswallowday9.jpg
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
This is one of my favorite pictures so far. The Swallows were nine days old at that time. They are now at twelve days.

Attachment 30678
Aww... (Although, in a way, it is a face only a mother could love...yet still somehow cute.)

How lucky that you can view them through the window.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Salamander

They just had a mishap. Two were found on the porch floor and one was moving too close to the edge which drops into some shrubs. The parents were flying about, not knowing what to do.

One of the boys got a ladder and another took a picture, while I kept that one from going over. I don't want to handle them for long, so held them only long enough to get back into the nest. I had the hardest time trying to arrange them without possibly breaking a wing or a leg, so I put one on top of another.

I called a rehabber to ask how to handle these birds to get them in their nest properly. She thought they'd be able to move around to rearrange themselves. I asked if there was anything I could do, put up a basket or something so they don't keep falling out. There isn't anything really. They probably are overheated and were just trying to move around to cool off a bit.

Well, during the length of the call, the parents came back and all four young are settled in nicely with heads poking out. I am sure going to be a mess before all is said and done.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Pope

Birding Bunch, you are taking such good care of your little brood! I had several living on the side and front porches at my previous home, and every spring enjoyed watching the parents come and go, and the little ones grow. It is best just before they fledge, as they are so big they can hardly all fit in the nest and the poor parents can only perch nearby. You are fortunate to have them, I always think of them as good luck!

Tags
babies, baby, baby birds, barn, bird, bird nest, birdnest, birds barn swallows, build, building, nest building, swallow, swallows