Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #411
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Today I saw..... A three inch blanket of fresh snow and the largest clusters of snowflakes falling I ever did see. Must have been quite the turbulence way up high to clump them together as they were. Still snowing but coming down real fine right now.

YEY That just prolonged my Spring chores..No raking, No weeding yet so working on finishing up the Winter project indoors.
Got all seeds planted that I want to get a jump on indoors for the gardens outdoors come JUNE!...Next week I'll start watering them to sprout.

I lucked out....My son dropped off a fluorescent light fixture he no longer needed.
No bulbs in it but that's nothing to worry about.

WHAT TYPE of bulbs-tubes should I buy to raise seedlings under???
The Larger diameter? the more compact slender? Day? T or whatever I hear they call them or another type?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #412
Fox

For growing seedlings the less expensive cool white works just fine. If you compare brands look at the lumens, select the ones with the higher number. If you were growing flowering plants then the more expensive daylight spectrum lights would be better.

I have to say I'm not looking forward to shoveling more snow. And the forecast looks like we will get even more snow in the next couple of days. I want spring!!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #413

Thanks so much NeWisc. I'll soon be on my way to purchase.
Snow's fine.....This is the first Spring I can actually say........ I'm not eager to start out there yet. That being said, leads me to believe I've added more than I care to keep up with. I'll more than likely be eyeing up the furthest beds thinking about doing a bit more downsizing in them. Dragging a double header, heavy, water filled, garden hose all that distance isn't getting any easier.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #414
Fox

Just finished with my 2 hour job of shoveling wet snow. It's just warm enough to create slush, but not warm enough to melt it. No choice but to remove it; the night temperatures are cold enough to turn it to ice and then there's no way to get it off the driveway. Having your house 250 feet from the road has it's downside.

There was one pleasant part to the job. I heard that distinct rat-a-tat-tat on my metal chimney, and then saw that the yellow bellied sapsuckers have returned. Another hopeful sign that spring is coming.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #415
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
I'm still covered in deep crusted snow banks, and the forecast indicates a chance of snow every day this week! In fact, my area is currently under a "winter storm watch." Wah!
Aw. Way too much snow for most people to bear...I hope this is the last of it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post

Thanks everyone for sharing such great springtime photos. I've enjoyed looking at every single one of them!
Here's hoping I'll have some to share before too long...but we are still far behind...and I don't yet have nearly as many woodland wildflower varieties as I'd like.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Today I saw..... A three inch blanket of fresh snow and the largest clusters of snowflakes falling I ever did see. Must have been quite the turbulence way up high to clump them together as they were. Still snowing but coming down real fine right now.

YEY That just prolonged my Spring chores..No raking, No weeding yet so working on finishing up the Winter project indoors.
Got all seeds planted that I want to get a jump on indoors for the gardens outdoors come JUNE!...Next week I'll start watering them to sprout.

I lucked out....My son dropped off a fluorescent light fixture he no longer needed.
No bulbs in it but that's nothing to worry about.

WHAT TYPE of bulbs-tubes should I buy to raise seedlings under???
The Larger diameter? the more compact slender? Day? T or whatever I hear they call them or another type?
havalotta, the eternal optimist! Yay! What a great way to look at it.

Congratulations on your fluorescent light fixture. I'll let others advise you about the type of bulb.

I just got MOST of my vegetable seeds planted, and I feel a bit behind. You seem to be ahead of the game for your conditions.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I have to say I'm not looking forward to shoveling more snow. And the forecast looks like we will get even more snow in the next couple of days. I want spring!!
I didn't realize so many members were from Wisconsin. I hope you all get the last of the snow soon and a beautiful spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Just There was one pleasant part to the job. I heard that distinct rat-a-tat-tat on my metal chimney, and then saw that the yellow bellied sapsuckers have returned. Another hopeful sign that spring is coming.
Nice...see, spring is on its way.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #418
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Birds...my pine siskins and juncos are still here. They must have gotten word about the snow up in the midwest and decided not to leave!

Here are a few. The pea hen is from my daughter's stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-american-crow-looking-through-window-web.jpg   Today I saw:-pine-siskin-hiding-tree-1.jpg   Today I saw:-pea-hen-web.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I didn't realize so many members were from Wisconsin.
Hey NeWisc....Have you ever walked into the Chappie Rapids area?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #420
Fox

I've been to a couple of the Chappee Rapids Audubon Society meetings, does that count?

Actually I don't think I've been to chappee rapids, at least I don't remember going there.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler