Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Salamander

This is the tallest building in Lansing. The site is on the 21st story and looks down on everything. The area is a recess in the building, about 8'X8'. It has a roof and one open side. An air conditioning unit blocks the view of where I believe the scrape is. A window allows a view of the area from the rear of the recess. The only way to see if she has eggs is to climb out the window and take a look. She wouldn't like it, but she would put up with it. It is perfect for banding. The birds don't have a way to attack from above. The DNR may decide to take a look. I'm fine with waiting to see if they bring in food.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
WG Operations, Facilitator

fishlkmich-
Your photos are stunning!!! Lady Claire is beautiful!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Carbon

I am a Peregrine Falcon Volunteer for the Michigan DNR and watched over Clair in 2008. She was named after our nearby Lake St. Clair. Here is photo of her on the top of the Macomb County Building and the other photo is the corner of the same building showing where the nest is located. It is behind the lowest of the ledges.
Attached Thumbnails
My new lady-clair-macomb-county-bldg-barb-baldinger-6-23-2008-9-44-44-am.jpg   My new lady-macomb-county-building-mount-clemens-mi-peregrine-ledge-2012.jpg  
BarbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbB View Post
I am a Peregrine Falcon Volunteer for the Michigan DNR and watched over Clair in 2008. She was named after our nearby Lake St. Clair. Here is photo of her on the top of the Macomb County Building and the other photo is the corner of the same building showing where the nest is located. It is behind the lowest of the ledges.
Welcome aboard, BarbB.

Thank you for sharing a bit more history on Clair. It is a small world.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Barbara! Hi! Hey, Wildlife Gardeners, Barb B is the wonderful person who rescued our now famous, Peregrine falcon, from a premature fledge attempt accident in detroit
and carried her up 14 flights of stairs and returned her to the nest. This Peregrine, was named BB, for her rescuer, Barb B! BB is a star in Buffalo, nesting in a nestbox on MacKay Tower at the University of Buffalo, and now raising her fourth family.
More news on Facebook Peregrine Place, I think the link is below. I'm speeding along at 70+mph so it's not easy to do links! Don't worry, I'm the passenger.
So glad to see you here, Barb!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Barbara! Hi! Hey, Wildlife Gardeners, Barb B is the wonderful person who rescued our now famous, Peregrine falcon, from a premature fledge attempt accident in detroit
and carried her up 14 flights of stairs and returned her to the nest. This Peregrine, was named BB, for her rescuer, Barb B! BB is a star in Buffalo, nesting in a nestbox on MacKay Tower at the University of Buffalo, and now raising her fourth family.

Great story...and what an honor for Barb B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm speeding along at 70+mph so it's not easy to do links! Don't worry, I'm the passenger.
LOL! Well, I should hope so!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
Heron

camera4 Yes Everyone we all say we're from Detroit

Because if I said I was from Eastpointe or Clinton Township most people outside the Tri-County area [Wayne, Oakland, Macomb] wouldn't know geographically how close we were to Detroit,,Where all the sports teams are except basketball. I live in Eastpointe[Macomb County] so when I was called for Jury Duty about the time Claire hatched I was near the top of the building for the case. It was really refreshing looking East over the flood plain of the Clinton River thinking how much wildlife it supported. ---I'm sure people in Buffalo feel the same way when gazing the Niagara River and Gorge. ---Downtown Detroit [Wayne County] has it's share of high-rises along with a few in Southfield[Oakland County]--But I believe the pictures Barb posted is the Macomb County Court building in Mt. Clemens which is 20 miles north of Detroit's Downtown. --Mt Clemens didn't spring up as place created by urban sprawl but was visited for it's mineral baths. Detroit was founded by the French and many streets were pronounced with the French vowel usage,,, The boulevard from Downtown Detroit to Mt Clemens is named Gratiot, English Pronunciation would be Grat -e- it,, But Detroiter's say Gra-Sh*t ; Don't worry most east-siders will understand. Another formula when the city was laid out was that the five main roads leading out from the center city and lesser roads running North and South have a number system which can easily be converted to place you almost exactly to the East/West crossroads which are almost exactly laid out 1 mile apart and correspond with how far they are from the foot of the Detroit river.Most have heard of 8 mile but there's a 5/6/7/9/up to 19 mile roads too.-- The Woodward Corridor separates East Side from West Side and numbers go up in either direction. ---But aside from my little geography intro I / We would like to know more about Claire and any other off-spring from Mt. Clemens---Are they moved to Lansing or flying the 50 plus miles? ---Have any Falcon's from Mt. Clemens gone to the Southfield Hi-Rises? Is the only Web-Cam in Mt. Clemens or does Downtown Detroit have any ?
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
But I believe the pictures Barb posted is the Macomb County Court building in Mt. Clemens which is 20 miles north of Detroit's Downtown.
sprucetree, the Macomb County Court Building is the shorter building with the tall windows on the upper floor. It is located just north of the Macomb County Building in my photos, where the Peregrine Falcon nest is located.
Thirteen chicks have hatched from that nest since 2005. Clair would be the first to reproduce if she has a successful nesting. Clair arrived in Lansing on her own and was first seen this past fall on the webcam at the Lansing BWL. Her visit was brief, then she moved on.
The Macomb County nest in Mt. Clemens has not had a webcam since 2009, due to lack of funding.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

BarbB-

What does a webcam cost?
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Admin View Post
BarbB-

What does a webcam cost?
It is not just the cost of the webcam. Macomb Audubon Society donated the cam that was used at the Macomb County Building in the past. As I understand it, the cost comes from the use of the computer and the broadband width that is needed for public usage. Also, the adult birds at this site never pick the same corner of the building two years in a row for their nest. The camera was not set up in the past until the eggs were laid, which was disruptive to incubation.

Tags
avian, banding, bird, bird watching, birds, dnr, eggs, falcon, lady, lansing, mate, mating, mt. clemens, nest, nest sites, nests, peregrine, photos