Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Interactive Priority Conservation maps

I love these maps. y
You can click on your area of North America and it gives ecoregion and plant communities and creatures of importance . Fun and informative.

The Conservation Maps That Changed the World | Cool Green Science: The Conservation Blog of The Nature Conservancy

TNC Priority Areas

Quote:
You can zoom into your neck of the woods (should you live in North America) or anywhere on the continent to see all the places and species we think are significant ecologically. All of the Conservancy’s conservation priority areas and targets are represented — determined by their regional ecological importance. This is work that’s been 30 years in the making, folks

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Fantastic! Nice find Gloria! There are some areas very close to me, they have interesting names like Sunset Barrens, Shanty Hollow and Devil's Side Saddle. Then there's the huge Green River bioregion around Mammoth Cave and covering 1,350 square miles and 110 miles of river basin. I really need to go up there this spring as soon as the trails dry out a bit, I have a wildflower guide of all the species in Mammoth Cave National Park that I need to put to use.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Oh, and I really want to see what a "Farkelberry Forest" looks like. It's a community in the Green River bioregion, sounds cool!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

linrose,a Farkelberry Forest sounds like a reason to head out and explore.

These maps are good to help find and observe, for those interested in seeing what a natural plant community looks like throughtout the seasons, what grows low as ground cover or through the successions, and what creatures may use the habitat.It pinpoints and names areas in your own neighborhood and close enough to visit often. Very cool.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conservation, interactive, maps, priority