Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Fox

Default Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time

Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time
Green Fire was produced in partnership between the Aldo Leopold Foundation, the Center for Humans and Nature, and the US Forest Service.
Quote:
About Green Fire

The first full-length, high-definition documentary film ever made about legendary environmentalist Aldo Leopold, Green Fire highlights Leopold’s extraordinary career, tracing how he shaped and influenced the modern environmental movement. Leopold remains relevant today, inspiring projects all over the country that connect people and land.
Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time

Quote:
The Green Fire Story

“We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes—something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.”
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, 1949

The impact of his own gunshot from a rimrock in Arizona changed Aldo Leopold’s own thinking, leading to the key insight that was the culmination of his life’s work: a responsibility for its health. Join us as we trace Leopold’s personal journey and follow the threads that connect to his legacy today.
Green Fire: About the Project

Quote:
Find a Screening Near You

Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time is playing in communities all over the country. Please check the list below to locate a screening in your area. If you don't see one, consider hosting your own.
Green Fire: Find a Showing

There's also a DVD available:
The Aldo Leopold Foundation
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Fox

Default Green Fire Press Release

Green Fire: Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Documentary Film Connects Leopold to Modern Conservation Efforts

Green Fire film to premiere at venues across the country throughout the spring

CONTACT: Jeannine Richards, Aldo Leopold Foundation 608-355-0279, ext. 25, or jeannine@aldoleopold.org

BARABOO, WIS.—Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time is the first feature length (72 min.), high definition documentary film ever made about famed conservationist Aldo Leopold. Emmy-Award winning narrator Peter Coyote lends his talent as the voice of Aldo Leopold, and the film’s on-screen guide is Curt Meine, Leopold’s biographer. The film explores Aldo Leopold’s life in the early part of the twentieth century and the many ways his land ethic idea continues to be applied all over the world today. In partnership with the U.S. Forest Service, premiere screenings in select cities will also celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Weeks Act, the law that lead to the creation of many of our eastern national forests, and sparked the long-term effort to replant and restore forests that still continues today.

Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time is a production of the Aldo Leopold Foundation, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Center for Humans and Nature. The film shares highlights from Leopold’s life and extraordinary career, explaining how he shaped conservation in the twentieth century and still inspires people today. Although probably best known as the author of the conservation classic A Sand County Almanac, Leopold is also renowned for his work as an educator, philosopher, forester, ecologist, and wilderness advocate.

The film debuted to a sell-out crowd of nearly 1,000 people at the world premiere in Albuquerque, New Mexico this February. The film’s partners have organized about a dozen additional major premiere events throughout 2011. It has already played to packed houses in San Francisco, Washington D.C., Denver, Portland, and Chicago. Additional premiere events in Minneapolis, Seattle, and New York are set for early fall. The film is also currently being shown at hundreds of public screenings arranged by community organizers across the nation. Green Fire will air on public television in 2012.

“Aldo Leopold’s legacy lives on today in the work of people and organizations across the nation and around the world,” said Aldo Leopold Foundation Executive Director Buddy Huffaker. “What is exciting about Green Fire is that it is more than just a documentary about Aldo Leopold; it also explores the influence his ideas have had in shaping the conservation movement as we know it today by highlighting some really inspiring people and organizations doing great work to connect people and the natural world in ways that even Leopold might not have imagined.”

Green Fire illustrates Leopold’s continuing influence by exploring current projects that connect people and land at the local level. Viewers will meet urban children in Chicago learning about local foods and ecological restoration. They’ll learn about ranchers in Arizona and New Mexico who maintain healthy landscapes by working on their own properties and with their neighbors, in cooperative community conservation efforts. They’ll meet wildlife biologists who are bringing back threatened and endangered species, from cranes to Mexican wolves, to the landscapes where they once thrived. The Green Fire film portrays how Leopold’s vision of a community that cares about both people and land—his call for a land ethic—ties all of these modern conservation stories together and offers inspiration and insight for the future.

“The making of Green Fire has been a process of discovery,” says Curt Meine, the film’s on-screen guide. Meine’s doctoral dissertation was a biography of Aldo Leopold, published as Aldo Leopold: His Life and Work (University of Wisconsin Press, 1988). To give the film its modern perspective of Leopold’s influence in the conservation movement today, Meine was charged with conducting hundreds of interviews with people practicing conservation all over the country. “Meeting all those people has really yielded new connections between Leopold and nearly every facet of the environmental movement, including ocean conservation, urban gardening, and climate change—issues that Leopold never directly considered in his lifetime but has nonetheless affected as his ideas are carried on by others,” said Meine.

“Aldo Leopold is one of our nation’s most beloved nature writers,” says environmental historian Susan Flader. “His A Sand County Almanac, published posthumously in 1949, has become a catalyst for our evolving ecological awareness and a classic in American literature.” Leopold is regarded by many as one of the most influential conservation thinkers of the twentieth century, and the film highlights the ways his legacy continues to encourage us to see the natural world “as a community to which we belong.”

If you go:

Premiere venues and dates continue to be added. Check the following web link for the most up to date schedule and ticket information: Green Fire: Premiere Schedule

Community screenings have already taken place at hundreds of small venues across the country— find or host a screening near you.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Did you see this?
Madison, Milwaukee, Saint Louis, why not Chicago?
I would love to talk to someone that has actually seen the film.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Did you see this?
No, it hasn't been in my area.

I've been thinking about contacting some local environmentally friendly organization (Wild Ones chapter, Audubon chapter, etc.) to see if I could get them interested in doing a screening. Maybe as a membership promotion, fund raiser or even as an image building public service. The $150 screening license seems like a pretty reasonable price to do this, especially with all the promotion materials that are provided with the license.

As a last resort I'll buy the home-use DVD.

As for what the film is like, I found this review interesting:
New film "Green Fire" effectively depicts how Aldo Leopold's ethics evolved - Milwaukee Green Culture | Examiner.com

Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Did you see this?
The heck with Chicago, why not Boston or NY or anywhere on the East Coast?

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Fox

Gloria - Are any of these locations workable:
https://www.aldoleopold.org/greenfir...y=USA&state=67

Jack - There are a few showings in the Northeast:
Vermont
https://www.aldoleopold.org/greenfir...y=USA&state=61
Maine
https://www.aldoleopold.org/greenfir...=USA&state=120
Pennsylvania
https://www.aldoleopold.org/greenfir...y=USA&state=81

It looks like the big opening in MA was in Boston on June 2:
http://www.yelp.com/events/boston-green-fire-boston-film-premiere

I'm sure there will be more as the summer progresses. I think a lot of screenings are probably not getting posted to the greenfire website.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Fox

movies More Green Fire Screenings

The Outlook e-Newsletter

Quote:
Green Fire Team Gears Up for Fall Schedule

Our Green Fire premiere schedule slowed a bit this summer as people enjoyed vacations and outdoor recreation, but we're back at it as fall begins! Coming up this fall, we have premieres in St. Louis, Cleveland, Minneapolis, New York, Seattle, and Detroit, plus many community screenings all over the country. Green Fire is also making its mark on the film festival circuit. Coming up in September, Green Fire will show at the Black Earth Film Festival in Illinois, the Big Bear Lake Film Festival in California, and the Docutah Festival in Utah. Then, in October, Green Fire shows at Ekofilm in the Czech Republic! Learn more about how you can host a screening in your community, too!
The Aldo Leopold Foundation - July 2011 e-Newsletter

(The link title says July, but it's actually the August Outlook e-Newsletter)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
A Bee's Best Friend

Good to see this movie making the rounds.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Anyone seen this yet?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Anyone seen this yet?
Yes! We finally had an opportunity to see it last night. An hour and a half drive each way through deer infested roadways, but well worth the trip.

One of the things that was very enjoyable for me was that you could follow the evolution of the land ethic in Leopold's thinking. He didn't just wake up one day and exclaim "Eureka, I have discovered the land ethic". It was a life long process. As you know, A Sand County Almanac wasn't even published until after his death.

Leopold's message is so relevant today (and will continue to be for the foreseeable future) that it is hard to believe that he died over 60 years ago. The movie covers the major concepts and perceptions that Leopold brought to light during the span of his adult life. I was aware of these before I saw the movie, but to have all of them blended into a single hour long presentation was exhilarating.

The movie is entertaining as well as interesting. If you have a chance, go see it. If not, buy the home use DVD. The home use DVD would make an excellent gift for any environmentally aware person. If you belong to some kind of environmentally friendly organization the Green Fire Screening Kit (public and educational use) would make an excellent group or public service program. If you have an opportunity to present it as part of an organized educational program, I highly recommend it.

Tags
aldo, aldo leopold, biodiversity, conservation, documentary, environment aldo leopold, environmentalist, ethic, film, fire, green, green fir, green fire, land, land ethic, leopold, movie, restoration, sand county almanac, screening, stewardship, time