Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

View Poll Results: If you had a trillion dollars that…. YOU could only spend on ONE of 6 “pots”…. which pot would it be
Cleaning up invasive species 4 10.53%
Cleaning up known environmental pollutants 9 23.68%
population reduction on a "global" scale 16 42.11%
Land acquisition… the purchase of “habitat” 6 15.79%
Cleaning up carbon dioxide 0 0%
Ecologically responsible alternative energy 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Salamander

I am probably going with 6, with the caveat that I have no problem in big government (I am not sure what this is really) and I imagine the NSF is part of big government. I would give the money to the NSF to give out to researchers to create and refine sustainable energy.

Calliandra; absolutely, education will decrease birthrates. Education for both genders that is.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great thread, Lib!

I can't decide! I started taking the poll, I clicked on "land acquisition" first, then jumped to "responsible alternative energy", but population reduction was calling...so, I just hit "view results". ~sigh~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I guess you can see which one I picked since I went 1st!!!
Actually, I didn't see what you picked. There were lots of votes by the time I viewed the poll. Care to share?

Great discussion, guys!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Great thread, Lib!

I can't decide! I started taking the poll, I clicked on "land acquisition" first, then jumped to "responsible alternative energy", but population reduction was calling...so, I just hit "view results". ~sigh~
Sooooo, did you pick one?

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Sooooo, did you pick one?

LOL. Not yet. I guess I'm too indecisive!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

dapjwy> "Actually, I didn't see what you picked." I picked "Ethical and humane culturally “appropriate” population reduction on a "global" scale." Remember.... I'm the one who thinks what's happened to Haitians is an atrocity!!!
philip> how do you control population though? Whoa…. no funds to scratch the surface on this since it hasn’t exactly been a priority but… I do believe a step in the right direction would be no more tax dollars going to subsidize breeding here or anywhere else. I live in IL so I’m able to come up with one example from personal experiences of something that should have been STOPPED dead in its tracks years ago. When we were foster parents.... we received a monthly stipend of around $360. That money was tax free which helped but…. it never went far. It's why we didn't take in a 2nd child at any time because no way could we afford to kick in more. Karate cost $100 a month. Guitar lessons went to $30 a half hour form $25 per week and the swimming lessons alone probably averaged out to $20 a week. There were other costs of letting kids be kids by paying for after school activities and boy scouts. Then the nickel and dime costs like school supplies.... sending them to a classmates party with a gift... sending them to church if they were Christian....buying holiday and B-day presents for them not to mention basics like feeding and clothing them. We were always in the “hole” by hundreds every month and that didn’t count additional expense of taking ALL our children on vacation and I do realize more foster parents than not request respite so they can avoid incurring the expense of taking their foster children with them on vacation with the rest of the family but…. that sends a powerful message to the child that he’s not part of the family which is cruel and inhumane IMHO. That's a basic run down for a non-related foster parent and that "stipend" precludes a tremendous number of caring and compassionate rock-solid families from becoming foster parents... they can't afford to subsidize the State of IL but.... when a grandparent reported their own child to DCFS for “suspected” child abuse or neglect and when the grandchild was removed from the home and placed with the grandparent, grandparents always received priority, the grandparent received approximately $1,350 monthly…. tax free. Child goes out and produces another baby and grandma reports the daughter again... grandma receives another $1,350. And…. because grandma has the “babies”…. grandma qualifies for entitlement programs like section 8 housing so grandma can rent out her own house for big $$$ then move into free housing at the expense of the tax payer. A 3-bedroom apartment around here goes for over 1k a month.... a 3-bedroom house rents for around 2k a month. I know grandparents raking in upwards of 100k in tax free entitlements annually for reporting their own children to DCFS and…. it happens more than we would ever imagine in our wildest dreams. Breeding has become a very profitable business in IL.
It’s been over 5 years for us… we “kept” our last one too as soon as he became available so we were cut off from the monthly pittance but I’m pretty sure the dollar amounts of their “stipends” went up to over $1,400. One thing that could be done immediately in IL which would instantaneously raise the quality of prospective foster parents while providing less incentive to teenagers and youth to become “income providers” to their own parents via their reproductive organs would be reducing the "stipend" received by grandparents to that which non-related care providers receive then placing them under the supervision of an agency. Grandparents should not be “entitled” to more than any other foster care provider because the goal in IL is always return to home for the child. And…. grandparents should not be exempt from parenting classes or the ongoing supervision of an agency…. one of our boys was removed from his grandparents’ home not once but try 3 times for abuse. This is not uncommon. This is an incredible disruption to their little lives and takes a tremendous emotional toll on a child. The next thing we should seriously consider putting a STOP to would be protecting the civil rights of biological parents at the expense of any child’s civil rights. Children should not be treated by the law as if they’re the “property” of the biological parent just like a dog is. 3 strikes and the biological parent should have their parental rights to the child irrevocably removed by a court and any future children born to that “parent” should be removed from the home and placed immediately in protective care…. no more “I promise I won’t forget to feed or diaper this new baby if I get help” Drug rehab costs about $75k per 12-week session and running these biologicals through drug rehab a 4th and 5th time seems insane to me. I totally realize the best place for any child is with their biological parents but sometimes…. those biologicals won't ever be able to provide care for themselves let alone another human life no matter how many chances they’re given to run themselves through counseling and rehab at the expense of their children and tax payers. There has got to be countless examples of this type of fraud and abuse across our country. We're all paying out the nose for it.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Heron

Population control is the biggie, IMO, followed closely by environmentally responsible energy. The energy problem may be a bit more pressing in the short term, but in the long run, we need to control population size.

John
Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Heron

Equilibrium, since you know people who are abusing the system by using their grandchildren, it certainly can't be denied, but how do you know how widespread this practice is? You ought to blow the whistle on these lowlifes if you have proof of their abuse of the system.

John
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I'm a mandated reporter. Our hands are tied until we change some laws.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

I see population control as paramount.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative energy, cleanup, conservation, control invasives, dollars, earth, eco-friendy, energy, energy alternatives, environmental, environmental pollutants, invasive control, land, land acquisition, land ownership, pollutants, pollution, population, problems, projects, reduction, save, solutions, trillion, world problems