Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thanks.

I won't tell. ...and I can wait until you have time to share it.

I like your vacation photo analogy.

As for high and low temps, I'm wondering if there is a way for me to have that added automatically to the blog...I'm clueless, but think it might be possible. Does anyone know if there is something out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I'd be happy to share my CAD drawings and other stuff, but right now I'm between computers (hence the previous message.) My new computer is here but I haven't downloaded any software yet or even hooked up the internet. I'm working on the business computer in the house while Jason is away. I'm supposed to be handling the office but I can't help stealing a few minutes to be here, don't tell!

My journal entries are sporadic, certainly not every day, sometimes not every week. I try to record temp highs and lows, rainfall etc. along with the date at the beginning but that gets tedious. I like to list climate averages by month on the inside front cover of the journal so I know where our area stands for the year to date. Usually my entries are spurred by something special or exciting happening, or maybe just by boredom! I never seem to have time to sit on the deck and write as much as I used to, especially not in this heat! It really is a habit, sort of a learned behavior that you are either drawn to or not. I had so many writing classes in my life that even though it was not really in my nature to do so, it has become a "thing". It's like taking photos when you are on vacation or having a great time, you don't want to take yourself out of the moment then but years later you are so glad you did.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
As a side note, remember to back up your files, photos, lists or what have you on an external hard drive or some other safe place. It's heartbreaking to lose those things you've gathered over the years when your computer crashes.

Sincerely,
"Learned the Hard Way"
I'm on a Mac, so it happens very rarely
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
Lungwort

At camp, we had journals. Little yellow "Rite in the Rain" notebooks. We wrote everything in there. I was on the bird team, so every bird I saw was recorded, along with the location, date, temperature, cloud cover, relative humidity, rough wind speeds... it was tedious, but I'm glad I did it. I want to get a nice notebook now and do something similar, so I'm happy we were able to set such a good precedent.
Sylvatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #24
WG Contest Coordinator

I am planning on starting a nature journal at the first of the year. I want to get an appointment type calendar that I can easily carry around the yarden and record when I see things, where certain things are growing, that sort of thing. I would love to map out what I have growing and such but I am just happy that I am running out of space in the yarden. I don't think that I am disciplined enough to keep a journal like what you are talking about, but it would be nice to be able to go back and see when the first monarch appeared, or when the aster started blooming, that sort of thing. I do take a lot of pictures and they are all backed up on disc.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

I don't document diversity but.... I sorta work backwards. I've got an inventory for this property and when I'm able to get my grubby little hands on any species that were once here.... I snap them up and plant them then cross them off the list. Does that count?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I don't document diversity but.... I sorta work backwards. I've got an inventory for this property and when I'm able to get my grubby little hands on any species that were once here.... I snap them up and plant them then cross them off the list. Does that count?
I like it. Cool idea.

I may try something like that but just change the ones I get into bold or something so I know I have it.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

I use journals a lot like Sylvatica for notes or I write right in a book. You're backing up your computer like linrose said.... right??? I bought a brand new computer when my old one was working fine because I got nervous. It had state of the art everything with double hard drives... double mother boards.... you name it and that computer had it and it was backing up automatically but.... one of the hard drives or maybe it was one of the mother boards was defective. I lost everything..... thousands of photos that I'd bought that fancy new computer to protect my photos and everything was gone thanks to hardware failur and that corrupted the whole system like a month after I bought it. I'm backed up with Mozy AND Replica. Never again.... never again. Did I mention I'd zeroed out the old computer and donated it after the new one was up and running for a month??? Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #28
Grub

Okay - here's the poster.

The photography is all my wife, Nicole. She is a true talent and I love her to death for constantly taking pictures whenever I ask her to get her camera. She's very generous with her time even when it concerns things she would rather not be around

The concept came from seeing annual summerfair posters. They constantly change so that no two are alike. So that is what I would like to accomplish with them every year. Maybe one year I will sketch something, another year a photo collage. We'll see.

The name of the Habitat is Lacy Bean Wildlife Habitat. Lacy Bean is the name of my wife's portrait photography business and is based upon my daughter's middle name and my son's nickname.

The list is organized alphabetically (I guess I could list the entire thing if anyone was really curious) by scientific name and then common name. Each year I plan on picking a different italicized serif font for the scientific name and a different sans-serif font for the common name.

My goal in year one was 50 species and it took some work but I accomplished it.

The main image is a female hairy woodpecker. I love this little girl. She is sitting on my young redbud before heading over to the suet feeder.

The four inset images, from top left; a swamp milkweed leaf beetle (which showed up on my milkweed seedlings I had raised and scared me into thinking they were going to eat all of them but never did) - a Peck's skipper, which come around often and alight on many different flowers - a magnificent reddish-brown stag beetle which my wife not only photographed but caught as well! It even rammed her camera lens before it flew off - and a hummingbird moth which was a real treat as it fed from the monarda and phlox.

The four inset images were specifically chosen to be insects and of different color blocks to add more visual interest to the piece.

My wife presented it to me at a surprise 40th BD party this past summer. I can't wait to get to work on the 2010 poster.

How many document their own biodiversity?-2009_poster.jpg
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #29
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That poster is fabulous, Tim! What a wonderful idea!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

Do you have like a family room where you could put em all in a line? God with something like that I hope you're backing up too!!!

Tags
backyard, biodiversity, birds, diversity, document, documentation, habitat, habitat gardening, habitat gardens, list, plants, poster, species, variety, wildlife