Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
A Bee's Best Friend

No list really. I tend to look stuff up then let it go. Really should keep better documentation of the insects. Relying on memory is not good. Taking photos is the only way to ID some of the bees but even that doesn't always help. The pictures are always stored for future reference.
Kudos to those with good record keeping habits.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I like that idea and the common names of the two you listed seem endearing. I just hope I have the patience to research and compile a list.
I'm looking forward to it, if you get around to it tonight, great, if not, we'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSaupe View Post
I have wanted to map out the area . . . and a plant list is a good idea too. I have one for everything I have planted myself, but now that I am clearing out the wooded area on the other side of my creek I have a whole slew of new things to identify and add.

I guess I should start building my own journal or somesuch . . .
After you slew the Lonicera japonica beast, you now have a slew of other things to identify?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
No list really. I tend to look stuff up then let it go. Really should keep better documentation of the insects. Relying on memory is not good. Taking photos is the only way to ID some of the bees but even that doesn't always help. The pictures are always stored for future reference.
Kudos to those with good record keeping habits.
I'm hoping that, in the next couple of years, as I look through the previous years, I will realize how much more diversity I have. Hopefully, not just more diversity, but also greater numbers of the various species--like monarchs!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Grub

Quote:
After you slew the Lonicera japonica beast, you now have a slew of other things to identify?
Oh it never ends - now that the honeysuckle isn't blocking the sun *all sorts of things* are cropping up; ironweed, jewelweed and others I have yet to identify. Heck, a locust seedling is coming up too!
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
Grub

Quote:
I'm hoping that, in the next couple of years, as I look through the previous years, I will realize how much more diversity I have. Hopefully, not just more diversity, but also greater numbers of the various species--like monarchs!
I was really just curious as to what kind of impact my efforts were having. My backyard was a waste - no flowers, just a couple non-native euonymus and boxwoods. So I wanted to answer the question: "what kind of impact am I making here?"

Last year I had a goal of documenting 50 species and I barely made it. At this point in time I am at 60+ for this year. Most of it insects, but I have a handful of mammals, two frogs, a snake, plenty of birds including two raptors . . . so there is some variation.
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSaupe View Post
Oh it never ends - now that the honeysuckle isn't blocking the sun *all sorts of things* are cropping up; ironweed, jewelweed and others I have yet to identify. Heck, a locust seedling is coming up too!
"You done good!" It must feel great to see the ironweed and jewelweed have enough light and space to grow.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Journaling is a very peaceful, rewarding experience for me. It gives me time to reflect on things I don't always give time to, and it gives me a personal voice that can't be expressed in lists. I use a small sketchbook where I can jot notes or draw something I see. Keeping a handwritten journal is not for everyone but I can say it becomes a special memoir separate from what we all do online or on our computers. I'm afraid of blogging because my journals are just so personal to me but I almost thought about it when I heard this forum was closing just because I wanted to keep sharing.

dapjwy, I have aerial views, soil surveys, every map known or every published electronically or on paper for this property! I've also created a CAD file of my own of the property. (I'm also a map geek! I used to work in civil engineering.) Suffice it to say I love maps - and lists - and journals. Well, I love a lot of things!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #18

As a side note, remember to back up your files, photos, lists or what have you on an external hard drive or some other safe place. It's heartbreaking to lose those things you've gathered over the years when your computer crashes.

Sincerely,
"Learned the Hard Way"
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #19

I never felt disciplined enough to write a gardening journal, although I think it is a great idea. The best I can do is my blog...I never thought I'd keep it up, but I have been doing it for over 6 months now. It is meant for me to go back and see what I've done and see the progress, however, although I should, I am not including things like temeratures and how much rain we've had--or NOT had...I got excited today when it started to drizzle, that didn't last long.
=(

I understand that your journalling is personal to you...but, I'd love to see anything you care to share...especially the CAD design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Journaling is a very peaceful, rewarding experience for me. It gives me time to reflect on things I don't always give time to, and it gives me a personal voice that can't be expressed in lists. I use a small sketchbook where I can jot notes or draw something I see. Keeping a handwritten journal is not for everyone but I can say it becomes a special memoir separate from what we all do online or on our computers. I'm afraid of blogging because my journals are just so personal to me but I almost thought about it when I heard this forum was closing just because I wanted to keep sharing.

dapjwy, I have aerial views, soil surveys, every map known or every published electronically or on paper for this property! I've also created a CAD file of my own of the property. (I'm also a map geek! I used to work in civil engineering.) Suffice it to say I love maps - and lists - and journals. Well, I love a lot of things!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #20

I'd be happy to share my CAD drawings and other stuff, but right now I'm between computers (hence the previous message.) My new computer is here but I haven't downloaded any software yet or even hooked up the internet. I'm working on the business computer in the house while Jason is away. I'm supposed to be handling the office but I can't help stealing a few minutes to be here, don't tell!

My journal entries are sporadic, certainly not every day, sometimes not every week. I try to record temp highs and lows, rainfall etc. along with the date at the beginning but that gets tedious. I like to list climate averages by month on the inside front cover of the journal so I know where our area stands for the year to date. Usually my entries are spurred by something special or exciting happening, or maybe just by boredom! I never seem to have time to sit on the deck and write as much as I used to, especially not in this heat! It really is a habit, sort of a learned behavior that you are either drawn to or not. I had so many writing classes in my life that even though it was not really in my nature to do so, it has become a "thing". It's like taking photos when you are on vacation or having a great time, you don't want to take yourself out of the moment then but years later you are so glad you did.

Tags
backyard, biodiversity, birds, diversity, document, documentation, habitat, habitat gardening, habitat gardens, list, plants, poster, species, variety, wildlife