Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Grub

Default A National Phenology Network

http://www.usanpn.org/

A scientist for the Nature Conservancy is studying flood plain forests in the watershed in my area. I emailed him that last year to say that last year I had snowshoed in one of the flood plain forests that he is studying. I also said that I walked by the forest for the past 8 years; it is a vernal pool each year. He emailed me back that he would be interested in the date that the flowers came out of the red maples growing in the flood plain and where the wood frogs were arriving from. I learned a new word from him, phenology, and discovered a new organization that will record dates of different seasonal events for particular plants from distinct areas in the country. For example, they want information from New Englanders about when red maples blossom, also dandelions and several others. Another phenology site is BudBurst, but the NPA is the strict gatherer of information. The idea has merit, seeing how regular plant development changes with climate change. Already the wild flowers of Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond have changed; the phenology pattern shows that since certain wildflowers need colder weather to develop correctly and the weather is warmer, these wildflowers no longer bloom at the pond. They no longer bloom at Walden Pond. It might be interesting if others in the forum wanted to be a part of this citizen scientist program. The more information that is compiled, the more we will know how the seasons, the weather, and particular plants are changing over time. trout lily
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Big Fat juicy WORM

Is there then a central database for this kind of info. I was thinking of the Encyclopedia Of Life model. Which just dazzled me!
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

trout lily! You are coming up with all kinds of good stuff!
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Grub

Default website for phenology encourages citizen scientists

http://www.usanpn.org/

I enjoy this website. I've find excellent links to other sites.

The citizen scientist movement is growing quickly; I think that's great. When people contribute to a program, they take ownership and responsibility. They begin to care.

Where I live, we have an organization called AVEO (Ashuelot Valley Environmental Observations.) The organization is a clearinghouse for observations from groups and individuals who live in our valley. They've covered night jar surveys to vernal pool crossing guards reports.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

I can see that hanging around you is going to get me in trouble. I might never get any work done if my nose is buried into my computer monitor reading all your good stuff.

I do believe I've run into this site before. I'll have to take a good look at it later.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Salamander

Great site - thank you!!! I'm definitely interested in that sort of thing. I signed up.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Grub

Plants chosen, done. Research on the phenology site to check the specific buds, blooms, fruit, etc., not done. Other years, changes seen anecdotally. Not being organized (except when listening for the timing of different frog calls) project will help.
Spring begins on the calendar in 5 weeks (but who's counting...)Right now we have more than 2' of snow, more predicted this week. April 2008, the temperatures ranged from 21 degrees to 80 degrees, with a mean of 36, and we had a blizzard. We broke all snow records. This year, we've already broken last year's. What do you say to otherwise intelligent people who still say climate change isn't affected by humans? That, extreme weather changes don't mean necessarily mean they are all shifts to warmer temperatures? Or, is a sign of intelligence understanding that global warming exists? And, who decided to say "climate change" (which sounds neutral) instead of "global warming," which is more accurate? Or, is that splitting to fine a hair? :eek:
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

Today is a classic day where hanging around you gets me in trouble. I've got one day off this week and here I am reading what you've typed and going back to your Phenology Network. You are so baaaaaaaad trout lily. I really need to get off line and be productive. I won't have another day off for a very long time.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

Trout lily, Thank you for sharing this site, I registered for Project Budburst
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Big Fat juicy WORM

I also registered for Project Budburst. I'm hoping it will help me improve my knowledge of native plants among other things.

Tags
national, network, phenologt, phenology