Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Biodiversity (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/)
-   -   Whatcha got growing? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/biodiversity/13414-whatcha-got-growing.html)

Martha 03-22-2020 10:51 PM

Whatcha got growing?

1 Attachment(s)
Spring is coming in nice and slow here in NYC. The magnolias are putting on a show. Unfortunately too many of us are sheltering in place. I thought it might be nice to talk about what is blooming or growing in your gardens or nearby that is making you happy.

My lindera - spicebush is flowering. Actually one of two is flowering. It looks like male flowers to me. I hope my other one is female so I can get berries. The male plant is so much further along, that I donít know if they will cross pollinate. I see the happy, yellow blooms from my kitchen window along with a very plump robin, so Iím thankful.

skip1909 03-23-2020 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Salix discolor, and Packera aurea flower buds

Martha 03-23-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip1909 (Post 162143)
Salix discolor, and Packera aurea flower buds

Beautiful!
I love a nice, drawn out spring when every plant gets a chance to shine. I have to plant some Salix when I find a good place. My Brooklyn garden is too small and dry.

jack 03-24-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 162144)
Beautiful!
I love a nice, drawn out spring when every plant gets a chance to shine. I have to plant some Salix when I find a good place. My Brooklyn garden is too small and dry.

Only thing that has really yet transformed in the yard is the pussy willow, which is sporting large attractive buds at the moment. It's been cold and inclement here, so things are a bit slow right now. I did see in my neighbor's yard a red maple that was about to burst into flower...

dapjwy 03-24-2020 01:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46522

Attachment 46523

Attachment 46524

havalotta 03-29-2020 02:37 PM

That moist pussy sure is a beauty!!!

jack 03-31-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 162150)

Looking good, Dap!!

Martha 04-02-2020 11:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was a beautiful day here after endless amounts of rain. I know we need rain, but it was making the quarantine issue so much more difficult. I got to spend some time cleaning up my little garden. I was a good environmental gardener and left the leaves in place until things warmed up and whatever was nesting in them hopefully left. I have to admit it's a relief to look out my window and not see the mess. Here are a few things that are starting to peek out of the ground.

Golden Alexander, Solomon's Seal, Meadow Rue and Wild Ginger. Very excited. Everything is sideways because I didn't re-size the images, but it doesn't really matter except with the Solomon's Seal.

jack 04-02-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 162161)
Yesterday was a beautiful day here after endless amounts of rain. I know we need rain, but it was making the quarantine issue so much more difficult. I got to spend some time cleaning up my little garden. I was a good environmental gardener and left the leaves in place until things warmed up and whatever was nesting in them hopefully left. I have to admit it's a relief to look out my window and not see the mess. Here are a few things that are starting to peek out of the ground.

Golden Alexander, Solomon's Seal, Meadow Rue and Wild Ginger. Very excited. Everything is sideways because I didn't re-size the images, but it doesn't really matter except with the Solomon's Seal.

Looking good, Martha, We up here on the Mass /NH border haven't yet seen much at all. It's been rainy and cold in the high 30's and low 40's. I'm biting at the bit to get out there...

havalotta 04-03-2020 08:49 AM

Myself as well.
Temps got in the 40's maybe 50's? this week , the snow's finally melted and am in a holding mode as far as raking until the soils dried a bit. About all I can do is trim off tops and lay it into the beds that it will be hand tilled under. Springs not far off so while in wait, planning my attack, gathering supplies and prepping what I can.

Martha:
I like that meadow rue. I used to call it my panicle plant because of it's tiny leaves that played so lovely in the breese till I got to know it's true name. It started as a volunteer and if I've the room I will always let a volunteer do it's thing to see if it's worthy of a keep or not. One thing I did learn about this plant was to cut it's top off after it blooms as it does spread by seed. Here and there I also pull some of the young sprouting from its base to keep its size down