Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Hackberry Addition--Ellen

As I continue to add species to my habitat garden, I continue to increase biodiversity. My latest addition had spent a few years in a pot--but, perhaps that has given it a head start, and it is now ready to compete on its own in the woodland's edge (what will be the woodlands edge once my pocket woodland grows in...for now, the fast-growing blackberry will provide more shade).

I planted it near a 7-8 foot tall yellow birch...i am hoping that juxtaposing its smooth, peeling bark with the warty bark of the blackberry will provide visual interest...and a chance to point out to visitors how bark varies so much in species of mature trees. I'm always looking to the future...i just hope I'm here to see things begin to mature.

I finally planted the hackberry that Ellen had given me when we met--quite a few years ago. I just wanted to give an update and say thank you.

Hackberry Addition--Ellen-20170514_161444.jpg

Hackberry Addition--Ellen-20170514_161557.jpg

Hackberry Addition--Ellen-20170514_161643.jpg

Hackberry Addition--Ellen-20170514_161723.jpg

Thank you, Ellen.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
I just hope I'm here to see things begin to mature.
And if your not others will enjoy the fruits of your labor. I guess it's something we all hope for when our time comes.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
Fox

Oh nice job dapjwy, that might be a fast grower, they spread out pretty quick, their shade is often very thick, rivaling a maple I think.

ww
Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
And if your not others will enjoy the fruits of your labor. I guess it's something we all hope for when our time comes.
Yes, I am fine leaving it for others to enjoy--I wish it could become a park or instructional landscape or something.

My fear is that the next owner will chop it all down.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Oh nice job dapjwy, that might be a fast grower, they spread out pretty quick, their shade is often very thick, rivaling a maple I think.

ww
Thanks, wildwatcher. I am hoping that it is a fast grower. It is caged to protect it from deer.

I'm not sure how I feel about the dense shade, but most of my trees there provide very light shade, so it might be good to add to the mix.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yes, I am fine leaving it for others to enjoy--I wish it could become a park or instructional landscape or something.

My fear is that the next owner will chop it all down.
Noooo That's comparable to fearing a dentist. The what if's.....
There's ALWAYS the hope of everything going well!

Old 05-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Noooo That's comparable to fearing a dentist. The what if's.....
There's ALWAYS the hope of everything going well!
Yes, I would hope that anyone wanting to buy the property would want it for the natural beauty/habitat that I will have created.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yes, I would hope that anyone wanting to buy the property would want it for the natural beauty/habitat that I will have created.
Well said. That is what I'm hoping for, and probably something that will happen sooner than to you. I've been considering moving to Florida year round, but have put it off for love of my garden here in MA. I won't be selling here this year, nor next, probably. But beyond that lies uncertain, as I'm growing wearied of moving twice a year and maintaining two homes.

If only I could still tolerate the New England winters....

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Fox

This year I'm fostering a little redbud growing, he is about 3' tall, and I think I'm going to add some nitrogen granular this year, & maybe get him to jump up a little this year. [he didn't really do much last year at all]

And I'm watching how he is already branching somewhat, but I don't think I'll prune him at this time, as bugs love to eat redbud trees! I might even do what you did dapjwy & drive a stake near him, so he will decide to grow sort of straight, upright.

ww
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Been pulling upon the cluster of birch with stakes to tweak them into shape for the past year or so. Perhaps next year I'll set MY lassoed one free.

My beach tree, a little tyke I had transplanted into the garden a few years back is still on hold till the apple tree that's STILL lingering on dies off completely from a massive frost it received quite few Winters ago. Basically it's doing it's best with what's been stored in it's system as almost ALL of it's bark is gone with only a one inch strip of healed over wood leading up the entire tree!

The beech is still only about 18 inches high so so far so good as far as holding him there. May do a shovel chop around him a bit to control the I suppose spreading root system below so when the time comes he'll have some new side roots to support him.

Tags
additionellen, hackberry