Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

That video makes me want to see a fox here all that much more.

I've always loved otters...but I suspect I'm asking too much to have them show up to explore my pond (once the big one is dug)...oh well.

I found the part about the grizzly bear's hibernation excellent...we really have to stop telling kinds that hibernation is "like sleeping" and go into much better detail.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Gardening and nature are good for those of us who like people but really need alone time. I have enjoyed volunteer work most especially as it has pushed me to socialize more with others inclined to like alone time and conservation work. We seem to understand each other.
Wilderness to me is about humanity facing nature without civilization making it comfortable and tame. As Dr. Sanjayan says it is fascinating to some of us to know there are creatures out there that could do us in but many do not find that thought comforting.
On the other hand nature and wildness are everywhere. The garden, the park, a river through the city, a public space around public buildings, even city beaches.
We very much need more awareness of the human need for both the solitude of wilderness and the community of wildness.
Well said, Gloria. I never really thought about it that way but I think you are correct. I enjoy gardening because it gives me alone time. I like being around people at times but, I need my alone time as well. I think I'm a bit of an introvert, actually.

I also like what you said about Wilderness. Your comment brings to mind countless incidents in one of our favorite wilderness areas - the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Many are pushing for more cell phone towers, for instance. They say better communication will make the parks safer. Perhaps, but it will also mean more people walking trails with their phones to their ears, etc. I hate that thought. As a family, we go to those places to escape constant contact. We've been in the parks for 3-4 weeks at a time and never once checked a cell phone. It's good for the soul to be that disconnected for a while. For us, a big part of the attraction to wilderness areas is the sense that we HAVE to be prepared. We have to pay attention to our surroundings and to the weather, etc. At home if there is a storm, we close windows and wait it out. In the back country, it's much different. I believe absolutely that wilderness and wildness are a basic human need. We NEED to get outside to be healthy and happy.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nature Is Speaking - Conservation International I just looked into each and they are absoulutely stunning.
Are they being created for television or for playing in theater?
Wow. I just watched a few of the videos. Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing the link!

Tags
nature, save