Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'd say the blues would be my most favored color. It's a mellow, soothing color and goes well with anything.
I multiplied my wild phlox last year. I hope they made it through the long long winter.

Hey Wildone..Did you notice we're in the process of trading out into a new camp? I've the perfect place to tuck in the may apples you'll be sending me. I'll miss the old place surely as it has a LOT of native species on it. Some of my favorites (Those that are in abundance) will also be moved...The jack in the pulpits, trout lilies, blood roots, trilliums, hmmm maybe some others I'm not remembering at the moment. There's only a handful of the blue bottles and red cardinals on the property so I will be leaving those to multiply right where they are. Too bad as I really like the bluebottles. It was such a fun watching a little bee struggling to enter one.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
Fox

Default Notice! what notice???

NO, I didn't notice, so your selling out and moving? Is that right, or are you just adding a new camp? Please clarify, or send me an email, I wanna hear all about 'the scoop' first hand! I also posted some new pix in the Nov POM thread, about the mayapple here and what happened to them after I dug a whole bunch of them out of the woods! Get the scoop on that over at the NOV. 2013 POM thread.

Anyway I know you will put those mayapple to a good home around your place, ~~~I can't wait to hear from KCHD about how her mayapple are coming along, they should be up by now for sure!

ww
Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Mayapples sure are a welcome sight in spring with their big droopy green leaves when most everything else is still brown. We have several colonies all around in partly shady spots.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-mayapple-colony.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #24

I love blues too hava, it reminds me of spring when so many wildflowers bloom blue or violet. Right now we have many common violets, wood sorrel and bluets but soon there will be crested iris, wild phlox, bluebells, blue star followed by wild indigo and blue-eyed grass.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-violet2.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-bluets4.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-phlox-divaricata.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-baptisia.jpg   what's blooming now 2014-blue-eyed-grass-cl.jpg  

Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
NO, I didn't notice, so your selling out and moving? Is that right, or are you just adding a new camp? Please clarify, or send me an email, I wanna hear all about 'the scoop' first hand! I also posted some new pix in the Nov POM thread, about the mayapple here and what happened to them after I dug a whole bunch of them out of the woods! Get the scoop on that over at the NOV. 2013 POM thread.

Anyway I know you will put those mayapple to a good home around your place, ~~~I can't wait to hear from KCHD about how her mayapple are coming along, they should be up by now for sure!

ww
Oh no! I'm not selling out and moving. Whooooa I'd hate to even think about doing anything like that when I'm finally sitting in a mature setting.

The short version.
We have two camps, each with "lots" of time consuming grass cutting.
We bought two more. We remodeled one over Winter and are now moving things into it...The other is currently being remodeled. BOTH have minimal to no grass to cut. I begin clearing the two ORIGINAL camps of their excess starting this aft. The personal things, books, stuff on counters, extra rugs etc so buyers can visualize THEIR things in it. Once clear (Hubby gave me a month) we will put the two original places up for sale. It saddens me to leave a place I've grown to love but I also understand my hubbys need to lessen his workload.

I really LOVE the pond, birches and lay out of the camp we're moving things into. That's where I'll be planting your mayapples!
The other, Mmmmmm Even finished will more than likely lack in a comfy feel. It's a tiny A frame, tall and wasted spacious. No walls to hang collections, two bed rooms in it's nearly windowless (I guess you'd call it a half basement) but its near family and that alone means a lot.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #26

Nice colony Linrose. I have all of the blues but the bluets. Are they a tiny rock garden plant not much more than a few inches tall? They look familiar. I Wonder if those are hardy here.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #27
Fox

pawprint more flowerzz please

Hey havalotta, thanks for catching me up on your latest endeavors. Gosh you & yours are becoming quite the environmentally friendly people!, I too have opted for less intensive mowing, last year I reduced my mowing to once. But I get to make up for the fun lawnmower time by grinding leaves instead! hahaha

I think Linrose shows the right example for the mayapple by grouping in an area, somehow I think the mayapple like hanging out with other mayapple...but sometimes you just find one out in the middle of nowhere! ~~

I must say Linrose...your photography is so fine, your new camera really shows off your subjects in perfect detail. I wish I could keep up with Linrose & havalotta on 'the blues'...but I've got to wait for the spiderwort, mouse ears, & the wild flagg to bloom.

ww
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #28

Bluets are tiny flowers that I usually find in the lawn or in fields. I think they would make a nice rock garden plant too. They're about 3-6" tall. I like the quaint name for them "Quaker Ladies" they grow up in your neck of the woods too. You can try winter sowing them.

Thanks ww for the compliment! What are mouse ears?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Fox

asiatic dayflower...mouse ears, the deer love eating 'em! Also the flowers may be used as a blue dye. With a name like 'asiatic dayflower'...I'm guessing they are non-native.

ww
Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #30

Oh, OK, day flower it is. Spring beauties are blooming now, when the sun is out that is. I just planted some last fall.
Attached Thumbnails
what's blooming now 2014-spring-beauty.jpg  

Tags
2014, blooming, cornell university, flower id, phlox divaricata, phlox stoloniferia