Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Natural Pest Control

It seems to me that the more nectar and pollen sources I provide the more varieties of insects I've seen...and I've witnessed their interaction. Just yesterday, I took a photo of an insect predator perched atop a grass seedhead...upon closer inspection of the photo once it was uploaded, I noticed what I think is a tick in its mouth--er mandibles?

Natural Pest Control-dsc05875-crop.jpg

I'm not certain that it is a tick, but I like the idea of natural pest control. Nature tends to balance things out...and it seems to me that the more floral biodiversity we put in our yards, the more faunal biodiversity we will attract and the natural controls will keep things in balance.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Fox

I think you are onto a big picture truth that too many of us have lost sight of. Nature's scheme does balance things, but we keep altering it in detrimental ways. We reach for that insecticide without realizing that that pesticide is not only killing the 'pest' but all the other insects that would normally keep it in check. We strive for 'perfection' without realizing that if we ever did achieve it there would be no food source for the predators that feed on that 'pest'.

We spread too many invasive species because we don't want to be bothered with the effort involved in preventive measures; or we think that 'this' invasive species won't be detrimental in 'this' situation.

We create large unnatural monocultures (like 1 acre lawns) and then blame nature for trying to return it to something natural.

I don't mean to sound negative or imply that everything we do is harmful to nature, but we do need to pay a little more attention to natural processes and natural ecosystems.

This little tune keeps popping into my mind:
http://artists.letssingit.com/joni-mitchell-lyrics-big-yellow-taxi-tsgr9wh
I will age, but I refuse to get old.

Last edited by NEWisc; 07-29-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added a musical reference
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I think you are onto a big picture truth that too many of us have lost sight of. Nature's scheme does balance things, but we keep altering it in detrimental ways. We reach for that insecticide without realizing that that pesticide is not only killing the 'pest' but all the other insects that would normally keep it in check. We strive for 'perfection' without realizing that if we ever did achieve it there would be no food source for the predators that feed on that 'pest'.
I'm hoping others looking for natural pest controls, organic gardening, native plants, butterfly gardens, and the like will come across this post and other similar sites...and keep an open mind.

Quote:
We spread too many invasive species because we don't want to be bothered with the effort involved in preventive measures; or we think that 'this' invasive species won't be detrimental in 'this' situation.

We create large unnatural monocultures (like 1 acre lawns) and then blame nature for trying to return it to something natural.
I think "we" (the majority of members here) are less likely to do those things. ...and more likely to embrace the "big picture truth" you mention above.

Quote:
This little tune keeps popping into my mind:
http://artists.letssingit.com/joni-m...w-taxi-tsgr9wh
Have you noticed how many times they've remade that song!? It seems to me every generation will be familiar with it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

I so agree with you about biodiversity being a necessary and long term effective way to natural balances.
With food I am learning to try growing different vegetables each year but it is hard to give up the tomatoes and squash. Growing them in conjunction with native plants and other new vegetables each year makes it easier to control what does appear.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
I so agree with you about biodiversity being a necessary and long term effective way to natural balances.
With food I am learning to try growing different vegetables each year but it is hard to give up the tomatoes and squash. Growing them in conjunction with native plants and other new vegetables each year makes it easier to control what does appear.
There are so few vegetables that we enjoy, that I think I'll keep planting the same thing year after year, but I'll try to rotate them to keep pests searching.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I think "we" (the majority of members here) are less likely to do those things. ...and more likely to embrace the "big picture truth" you mention above.
Have you noticed how many times they've remade that song!? It seems to me every generation will be familiar with it.
Yes, I agree that the members here share an environmentally responsible view. I was using 'we' in the generic sense, i.e., society in general.

The remaking of that song does have a bit of reassurance about it. It's good that each generation finds something of value in it's message.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the members here share an environmentally responsible view. I was using 'we' in the generic sense, i.e., society in general.
Oh, I know you do, and I understood where you were coming from...I just had to say it because, I know "we" (Wildlife Gardeners) for the most part get it.

Quote:
The remaking of that song does have a bit of reassurance about it. It's good that each generation finds something of value in it's message.
Yes, and we need all the reassurance we can get.

Tags
control, natural, pest