Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #81
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

My butterfly has yet to break ground!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #82
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
How nice turttle, I too am seeing a vast difference this year in the woods, as compared with last. Those spotted wintergreen...is there a fragrance of wintergreen associated with this plant?~~just curious.

I like the exotic, especially the woodland forbes it seems, I never have seen some of the things WG members have posted in this thread, but I'm taking notes and really appreciate all the sharing people here do so well.

ww
ww, there are many plants named "wintergreen" by early settlers because they were green during the winter. This one is also called pippsissiwa, and is not related to the plants they make wintergreen oil/flavorings from.
Spotted Wintergreen (Chimaphila maculata)

Spotted wintergreen is common, but small and grows in colonies, and you need to be looking for it. I have quite a bit of it through my woods. I have never seen it for sale anywhere.

They make oil of wintergreen from Eastern teaberry,
gaultheria procumbens, PLANTS Profile for Gaultheria procumbens (eastern teaberry) | USDA PLANTS

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #83
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
My butterfly has yet to break ground!
My butterfly weed is blooming as of a few days ago. So is my Solomon's seal; my Solomon's plume is already past. Yarrow is blooming here too, as is gaura, hyssop, bee balm, native honeysuckle, gaillardia, coreopsis auriculata, whatever heliopsis I have. My whole garden is just on the verge of completely bursting into bloom. I love this time of the year!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #84
Offical Silphium Abuser

Ruellia is attempting to take over the front planting beds--not that I particularly object.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Blooming Now 2013-ruellia.jpg   What's Blooming Now 2013-ruellia-close-up.jpg  

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #85
Fox

pawprint thanks turttle

That was nice of you to explain & reference a little about the Chimaphila maculata, spotted wintergreen, & include the bonus information: gaultheria procumbens, eastern teaberry

How interesting those little plant are! I really think the CT Botanical site is so easy to use, (I like browsing their site using the: 'next button' that refers to the next wintergreen, or fern, or whatever)

Those 2 specimens don't seem to be native in my area (AR), (usda plants profile pages) and I think I would of noticed those, being evergreen. But I'm use to that, there are lots of things from the east that haven't made a home out this way.

ww
Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #86
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I like the color & shape of this spiderwort.Attachment 36556

ww
Yours looks so much more delicate and attractive than the ones I see for sale.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #87

Quote:
I would love some help with an ID of this pretty flower that grows in my backyard every year, I like them because I don't have to mow the grass because of beauties like these. The leaves are wide and rounded but they often grow within a clump of grass, somewhat dry and gravely area, but shaded.Attachment 36557

ww
I think they look like Two-Flowered Cynthia (Krigia biflora) or another Krigia spp. Two-Flowered Cynthia (Krigia biflora)

I'm lucky enough to have a nice patch started. Last year I started spreading them elsewhere...and I hope to spread them to more areas this year.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #88

I'm really behind on this thread--not only in viewing but also in posting. The same thing happened to me last year.

I took tons of photos since March, but I've yet to post much of anything to my blog or here. I think I'm stuck, because I want to catch up before I post what is blooming now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Sweet Grass (Hierochloe odorata)
Your photo makes me want to grow sweet grass.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #89

Very nice photos everyone. Thanks for sharing your blooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I don't know what they are but they are pretty, nicer because you don't have to mow the grass!

...cinquefoil (not open much because it's overcast)...
I have a small section of former grass that I smothered with wood chips last year (or the year before?). Last fall I added some natives I'd grown from seed--with a lot of annual Erigeron spp. (daisy fleabane) to ensure blooms the first year. I also transplanted some cinquefoil to hopefully fill in around the base of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Penstemon, I believe Eastern grey, P. canescens,
Attachment 36777
I'm hardly an expert and can usually only feel comfortable guessing the genus of things, but it looks more like Penstemon digitalis to me.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Flooding and snow just..... two weeks ago!

...We're finally breaking out of dormancy
I can't believe how late your spring was this year! I'm glad it is finally happening!

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers